Help with turns

Former Member
Former Member
I swam Nationals. I am a sprinter and in both the 50 back and 50 free, I went into the turn with everyone and came out behind everyone. I clearly did not "miss" my turn. What is the most likely thing that I am doing wrong?
  • I swam Nationals. I am a sprinter and in both the 50 back and 50 free, I went into the turn with everyone and came out behind everyone. I clearly did not "miss" my turn. What is the most likely thing that I am doing wrong? What heat and lane were you in? I can check out your race on the live feed once I get back home if you want (I am also at Nationals).
  • I swam Nationals. I am a sprinter and in both the 50 back and 50 free, I went into the turn with everyone and came out behind everyone. I clearly did not "miss" my turn. What is the most likely thing that I am doing wrong? I recognize your name, because my eyes have been glued to the live streaming throughout Nationals! Did anybody shoot some video of your races from closer up than the live streaming? Even on a large computer screen, it's hard to tell what's really going on. If you don't have video from Nationals, I would recommend getting somebody to shoot some close-up video of your turns. Post them on YouTube, and then post the link on this thread. It's really the only way we would be able to see what's going on with your turns.
  • What heat and lane were you in? I can check out your race on the live feed once I get back home if you want (I am also at Nationals). I found the video. She's in Heat 10, Lane 2 at the 8:00 mark in the video below. Ann, I paused the video when the first swimmer made her turn, and you were in last place at that point. The swimmers in lanes 3-7 were quite a bit ahead of you, and you were just behind lanes 1 and 8. By the time you reached the wall for your turn, you were tied with lanes 1 and 8. Lane 1 appeared to be little quicker pushing off the wall on the turn. I don't think it's as much about your turn as your underwater after the start. It was slower than the other swimmers, which gave you a disadvantage in the first half of the race. www.youtube.com/watch
  • Elaine, thanks for finding the video of our OP! Ann, I do see a few issues with your turn that could be improved. First of all, you tend to not tuck your chin and your knees close enough towards the chest to get a tight rotation. A wider rotation causes you to head more towards the bottom of the pool instead of keeping your body tucked into a ball and positioning your feet in line with your body. In this screen shot below you will see what I mean.Additionally, I can see that you are not really "punching" the feet off the wall and have too deep off of a knee bend, which causes you to lose momentum. Try to work on your turns more in practices - practicing with and without the wall - and you will hopefully see a difference! 11570