Help with turns

Former Member
Former Member
I swam Nationals. I am a sprinter and in both the 50 back and 50 free, I went into the turn with everyone and came out behind everyone. I clearly did not "miss" my turn. What is the most likely thing that I am doing wrong?
Parents
  • Elaine, thanks for finding the video of our OP! Ann, I do see a few issues with your turn that could be improved. First of all, you tend to not tuck your chin and your knees close enough towards the chest to get a tight rotation. A wider rotation causes you to head more towards the bottom of the pool instead of keeping your body tucked into a ball and positioning your feet in line with your body. In this screen shot below you will see what I mean.Additionally, I can see that you are not really "punching" the feet off the wall and have too deep off of a knee bend, which causes you to lose momentum. Try to work on your turns more in practices - practicing with and without the wall - and you will hopefully see a difference! 11570
  • Elaine, thanks for finding the video of our OP! Ann, I do see a few issues with your turn that could be improved. First of all, you tend to not tuck your chin and your knees close enough towards the chest to get a tight rotation. A wider rotation causes you to head more towards the bottom of the pool instead of keeping your body tucked into a ball and positioning your feet in line with your body. In this screen shot below you will see what I mean.Additionally, I can see that you are not really "punching" the feet off the wall and have too deep off of a knee bend, which causes you to lose momentum. Try to work on your turns more in practices - practicing with and without the wall - and you will hopefully see a difference! 11570
Children
No Data