Flip turns at the shallow end of the pool

Former Member
Former Member
I've been addicted to practicing flip turns these days, which I just learned :D. I'm having problem doing it at the shallow end of the pool (water level to my waist). After completing the turn, my body (back or hands) would touch the bottom of the pool, so can't continue my lap. How not to hit the floor?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    How deep is the end? At least 4’? try curling yourself into a tighter, smaller ball when you flip. Really tuck that chin in and knees to your chest (or heels to butt).
  • Former Member
    How deep is the end? At least 4’? try curling yourself into a tighter, smaller ball when you flip. Really tuck that chin in and knees to your chest (or heels to butt). It's 3.5'. My problem is not the flip itself. I can do the flip, but after completing the flip, I can't avoid touching the floor, so if I try to extend my hand into streamline position, my hand hit the floor and it hurts... Maybe I should position my feet lower on the wall? Also I watched some videos where the swimmer arches his back immediately after the flip--is that a way to avoid landing on the floor?
  • Former Member
    Your suggestions sound good, if you position your feet lower on the wall you would probably push off slightly higher. Am not sure about the usefulness of arching the back after the flip, unless arching the back makes you more streamlined. Honestly 3.5' isn't anything to play around with. In my pool with the 4' end I still come fairly close to the bottom when I flip and I'm only 5'6, however I do try to stay underwater at least until past the flags. Minus 6" I'm not sure how I'd flip either. Maybe someone who has experience doing a flip turn in such a shallow pool can chime in.
  • Any way you could take a video? I could spitball suggestions but it wouldn't do much good not know what your flip looks like.
  • Honestly 3.5' isn't anything to play around with. In my pool with the 4' end I still come fairly close to the bottom when I flip and I'm only 5'6, however I do try to stay underwater at least until past the flags. Minus 6" I'm not sure how I'd flip either. I disagree. 3.5 feet is quite shallow, but you should still be able to execute a good flip turn and not hit the bottom. My suggestion is to watch videos of turn technique and pay attention to where the people in the video are touching the wall with their feet. I suspect you're probably sinking a little on your turns, thus not able to execute them well in shallow water.
  • In my experience, 3.5 feet is a pretty standard shallow end. I can't do good sprint breakouts at that depth but turning should be a non-issue for anybody under double that height. If you are hitting your hands on the bottom at all, let alone hard enough to hurt, you definitely are doing it wrong. Your hands should start the turn back by your hips and end it out in front of your shoulders, having moved hardly at all while your body pivots around the hips. Your first move after the last arm stroke is to bring your face toward your knees. It's a more like a pike than like a layout or a tuck.
  • Former Member
    In my experience, 3.5 feet is a pretty standard shallow end. I can't do good sprint breakouts at that depth but turning should be a non-issue for anybody under double that height. If you are hitting your hands on the bottom at all, let alone hard enough to hurt, you definitely are doing it wrong. Your hands should start the turn back by your hips and end it out in front of your shoulders, having moved hardly at all while your body pivots around the hips. Your first move after the last arm stroke is to bring your face toward your knees. It's a more like a pike than like a layout or a tuck. Thanks, this is helpful. I think I may be more like a "tuck", dropping like a tight roll/ball then unfolding the roll close to the floor. I'll keep what you say, esp. the "pike", in mind next time. I do see a lot of swimmers do flip turns on the shallow end in the same pool.