Flip turns at the shallow end of the pool

Former Member
Former Member
I've been addicted to practicing flip turns these days, which I just learned :D. I'm having problem doing it at the shallow end of the pool (water level to my waist). After completing the turn, my body (back or hands) would touch the bottom of the pool, so can't continue my lap. How not to hit the floor?
Parents
  • Honestly 3.5' isn't anything to play around with. In my pool with the 4' end I still come fairly close to the bottom when I flip and I'm only 5'6, however I do try to stay underwater at least until past the flags. Minus 6" I'm not sure how I'd flip either. I disagree. 3.5 feet is quite shallow, but you should still be able to execute a good flip turn and not hit the bottom. My suggestion is to watch videos of turn technique and pay attention to where the people in the video are touching the wall with their feet. I suspect you're probably sinking a little on your turns, thus not able to execute them well in shallow water.
  • Honestly 3.5' isn't anything to play around with. In my pool with the 4' end I still come fairly close to the bottom when I flip and I'm only 5'6, however I do try to stay underwater at least until past the flags. Minus 6" I'm not sure how I'd flip either. I disagree. 3.5 feet is quite shallow, but you should still be able to execute a good flip turn and not hit the bottom. My suggestion is to watch videos of turn technique and pay attention to where the people in the video are touching the wall with their feet. I suspect you're probably sinking a little on your turns, thus not able to execute them well in shallow water.
Children
No Data