Prescription mirrored anti-fog goggles

I have a pair of Sable goggles which I've had for a few years and they have been great....except they aren't dark enough on a bright sunny open water swim. I'm struggling to find an equal-in-quality pair of prescription anti-fog goggles that are mirrored or otherwise are dark enough to help out with the sun glare. Ideally these would allow me to have a prescription strength that differs for each eye, but I'd be willing to work with the same strength for both eyes if I had to. Have any other optically-challenged open water/outdoor pool swimmers found this mythical pair of magical goggles?
  • I've used Speedo vanquisher opticals for a long while (or less expensive "clones"). They come in a "smoke" which helps with sun glare. You can buy 2 pairs, one in each eye prescription, and then swap over one eyepiece to get 2 pairs to suit your eyes. They are very affordable (eg smoke -2s at under $20). I usually buy new each year, use the new to race and last year's race pair for training. Neither mythical nor magical but they do the job for me :) I don't know if they will be dark enough for you but they might be worth a try
  • Anti-fog is a mythical beast. You can use a dab of Johnson's baby shampoo before the swim, putting a thin layer on then rinse it off in the water before you put them on. It's worked for many hours to keep the fog out. Been doing it for years. Just be careful not to scratch the lenses with your fingernails.
  • I've also been struggling to find good optical goggles, but my problem is that optical goggles only come in men's or unisex sizes and leak on me. Sable is just about the only brand I haven't tried. Are they worth the price? Which style do you use - competition or comfort? I don't believe any company makes mirrored opticals. Speedo Vanquishers and copy cats by Sporti at Swim Outlet are the darkest tinted ones I have seen. Barracuda Dr B's are much lighter tinted. Aquasphere Eagles only come in clear. My last three events I wore non-opticals but couldn't see well enough and made siting mistakes. Probably use the Speedos next time. Every pair of goggles I have ever used starts fogging after it is no longer brand new. I use Barracuda anti-fog on race days when it really matters and 50% baby shampoo for training in the pool.
  • I've used Speedo vanquisher opticals for a long while (or less expensive "clones"). They come in a "smoke" which helps with sun glare. You can buy 2 pairs, one in each eye prescription, and then swap over one eyepiece to get 2 pairs to suit your eyes. They are very affordable (eg smoke -2s at under $20). I usually buy new each year, use the new to race and last year's race pair for training. Neither mythical nor magical but they do the job for me :) I don't know if they will be dark enough for you but they might be worth a try Speedo Vanquisher Opticals have worked well enough for me, too. I use clear for indoor, smoke for outdoor including open water. I think I have 5 pair right now; one of each in the training bag, a newer pair of each in the "meet bag," and an old, kinda-scratched-but-still-serviceable pair of clear ones in the "I forgot my regular training bag on the way out the door to work emergency swim bag" which is stuff in the spare tire well of my trunk.
  • Speedo Vanquisher Opticals have worked well enough for me, too. I use clear for indoor, smoke for outdoor including open water. I think I have 5 pair right now; one of each in the training bag, a newer pair of each in the "meet bag," and an old, kinda-scratched-but-still-serviceable pair of clear ones in the "I forgot my regular training bag on the way out the door to work emergency swim bag" which is stuff in the spare tire well of my trunk. This comment applies more or less to my optical goggle usage, but I wear smoke "copycat" Sportis due to a better fit. Yes, the anti-fog capacity is very perishable, fading away over 3-4 months, but for up to 18 months or so there is a good consistent non leaking seal and then eventually they require significant strap tightening. Goggle wear and tear will be subject to frequency of use, hence the "meet bag", but careful handling can prolong functionality. Rinse with clean warm water (use soap sparingly if at all) and air dry, be careful not to touch or rub lenses on either side as the anti-fog interior lense coating is easy to wear off and/or scratch. Contact lense moisture drops, or baby shampoo will help provide some anti-fog capacity after the original coating wears away. It's good to be redundant with training gear, swim suits, goggles, etc, because there will always be something unexpected that can happen. During the last six years that I swam almost entirely outdoors in SWFL, I searched far and wide for mirrored optical goggles for both pool and OWS. As already commented, they do not appear to exist yet, but I'm still hopeful. However having recently relocated to Charlotte, NC and swimming mostly indoors, the smoke googles are sufficient.
  • I haven't tried many of the goggles above, but I use View: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_2.
  • Barracuda Dr B Optical Goggles apparently now has a mirrored version. www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_3. I've not tried this style. For what it's worth, I tried a different style of Barracuda Dr B Goggles and was unimpressed.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Anti-fog is a mythical beast. You can use a dab of Johnson's baby shampoo before the swim, putting a thin layer on then rinse it off in the water before you put them on. It's worked for many hours to keep the fog out. Been doing it for years. Just be careful not to scratch the lenses with your fingernails. I too use Johnson's Baby Shampoo and have for years. I typically swim in 52-57 degree water so condensation is a big problem. I use a 1.5 oz. travel size shampoo, use less than half a drop per lens, and rinse almost completely before entering the water. Very effective. Anti fog lenses and commercial anti fog sprays don't work; Johnson's does. A travel size lasts well over a year.
  • I have the same struggle. I have Sporti and Tyr (I really do NOT like the shape or optics of the Vanquisher), and some British brand I bought online, none of them dark enough. Smoke tint really does very little, and I wonder about their UV blocking capacity. Would love to find good ones.
  • Yikes, just checked those Barracudas. $54?!?!?!? Can anyone tell me something about them to justify that price?