Valley Forge Marathon Swim

A good read for OW swimmers. By Diana McManus who was a finisher herself. www.mainlinemedianews.com/.../doc57d83bec4e244617681239.txt
  • Thanks for this, Jack! Yes, author is aka "FindingMyInnerFish"--and it seems spending more time in the water doing so. :) So, swimmers, come try this one next year. If you're new to marathon swimming, this is a good choice, because, yes, there's a challenging upstream section, but the water is rarely choppy, certainly not ocean choppy. In addition, there's a lot of oversight by the race crew. It's also very hard to go off course because you're traveling on a river, so there are many landmarks to guide you and your kayaker. But faster swimmers have enjoyed these aspects of it--and everyone enjoys the barbecue afterward. This is a lot less expensive than a lot of swims this distance ($100--I also gave my kayaker a gift card). You won't get a t-shirt, but as noted above, you get plenty of post-swim food, beverages (including beer), a swim cap, and great course support. You can also maybe win a plaque and gift certificate (as third female of... well... three, I had the good fortune to do that). Come check it out! If you're not ready for eight miles, you can get a relay team together. There were 2 relay teams this year. You need to find your own kayaker, but Philly has the Philadelphia Canoe Club and also you can post on the French Creek Racing Facebook page or join the Upper Merion USMS Team (Colonial 1776) FB group. I got a response from a friend of mine. Definitely keep it in mind for next year!
  • Nice writeup of the race. Sounds like a tough one having to go up current, but it's nice to have that "downhill" 2m at the end to recover and finish with a bang. How cold/warm was the water?
  • Nice writeup of the race. Sounds like a tough one having to go up current, but it's nice to have that "downhill" 2m at the end to recover and finish with a bang. How cold/warm was the water? Thanks! Yeah, that upstream part was slooooow! But you couldn't really go off course, and the water wasn't choppy, just when I turned and had the current w me, it was definitely a relief! Water temp, measured at the start was 81, with some warmer and cooler pockets here and there. Temp of the beer at the end was perfect, however! :) Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • Well that sounds like a fun event, Fish! Hmm.. may need to try that one later. "Temp of the beer at the end was perfect, however!" - My kind of swimmer. :)
  • Well that sounds like a fun event, Fish! Hmm.. may need to try that one later. "Temp of the beer at the end was perfect, however!" - My kind of swimmer. :) Aw, thanks! :) Definitely do it! Would be cool to meet a Forumite there! Scary thing is, I'm now looking into other marathon swims! This after retiring from marathon runs! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • There are a bunch of good ones out there, depending on what you want to do. I've done quite a few warmer water swims so holler at me if you have questions. You can do a search in this forum and in the blogs to find some race reports. One you might want to consider is the Miami 5k or 10k which is in March. Good way to kick off the season next spring. The only caution I have for you on that one is that the last 2 years, it's been on a very narrow course. They got a lot of feedback that it was dangerous with so many newbies on the course and said that they'd look into changing it up next year. - Kari
  • Thanks for the suggestion! Looking at my travel budget so may need to think in terms of Northeast Corridor swims although I have heard good things about Alligator Light. I have my eye on Boston Light eventually, but I'm still not fast enough for that one--but it would be so cool to do it! I did it last year as part of a relay team, and it's a great event--very well-organized! Definitely making sure I stay in shape distance-wise. Yesterday, 5000m, today 3000 yards (or meters, not sure, as today's swim was open water)... I have a great swim group and we do non-competitive open water swims twice a week, as well as pool workouts available 5 days/wk, plus our coach puts on a variety of races, including the VF Marathon swim, and also a 5k/1 mile swim in July and a half mile series during the summer. If you're ever traveling in Philly, PM me, and I'll get you in touch! There are a bunch of good ones out there, depending on what you want to do. I've done quite a few warmer water swims so holler at me if you have questions. You can do a search in this forum and in the blogs to find some race reports. One you might want to consider is the Miami 5k or 10k which is in March. Good way to kick off the season next spring. The only caution I have for you on that one is that the last 2 years, it's been on a very narrow course. They got a lot of feedback that it was dangerous with so many newbies on the course and said that they'd look into changing it up next year. - Kari
  • If you're ever traveling in Philly, PM me, and I'll get you in touch! I definitely will. It's fun finally meeting some of the others on this forum.
  • If you're ever traveling in Philly, PM me, and I'll get you in touch! I definitely will. It's fun finally meeting some of the others on this forum. Post event beers! :) Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • I have read this before. a master piece Aw, thanks! :) Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk