Valley Forge Marathon Swim

A good read for OW swimmers. By Diana McManus who was a finisher herself. www.mainlinemedianews.com/.../doc57d83bec4e244617681239.txt
Parents
  • Thanks for this, Jack! Yes, author is aka "FindingMyInnerFish"--and it seems spending more time in the water doing so. :) So, swimmers, come try this one next year. If you're new to marathon swimming, this is a good choice, because, yes, there's a challenging upstream section, but the water is rarely choppy, certainly not ocean choppy. In addition, there's a lot of oversight by the race crew. It's also very hard to go off course because you're traveling on a river, so there are many landmarks to guide you and your kayaker. But faster swimmers have enjoyed these aspects of it--and everyone enjoys the barbecue afterward. This is a lot less expensive than a lot of swims this distance ($100--I also gave my kayaker a gift card). You won't get a t-shirt, but as noted above, you get plenty of post-swim food, beverages (including beer), a swim cap, and great course support. You can also maybe win a plaque and gift certificate (as third female of... well... three, I had the good fortune to do that). Come check it out! If you're not ready for eight miles, you can get a relay team together. There were 2 relay teams this year. You need to find your own kayaker, but Philly has the Philadelphia Canoe Club and also you can post on the French Creek Racing Facebook page or join the Upper Merion USMS Team (Colonial 1776) FB group. I got a response from a friend of mine. Definitely keep it in mind for next year!
  • Thanks for this, Jack! Yes, author is aka "FindingMyInnerFish"--and it seems spending more time in the water doing so. :) So, swimmers, come try this one next year. If you're new to marathon swimming, this is a good choice, because, yes, there's a challenging upstream section, but the water is rarely choppy, certainly not ocean choppy. In addition, there's a lot of oversight by the race crew. It's also very hard to go off course because you're traveling on a river, so there are many landmarks to guide you and your kayaker. But faster swimmers have enjoyed these aspects of it--and everyone enjoys the barbecue afterward. This is a lot less expensive than a lot of swims this distance ($100--I also gave my kayaker a gift card). You won't get a t-shirt, but as noted above, you get plenty of post-swim food, beverages (including beer), a swim cap, and great course support. You can also maybe win a plaque and gift certificate (as third female of... well... three, I had the good fortune to do that). Come check it out! If you're not ready for eight miles, you can get a relay team together. There were 2 relay teams this year. You need to find your own kayaker, but Philly has the Philadelphia Canoe Club and also you can post on the French Creek Racing Facebook page or join the Upper Merion USMS Team (Colonial 1776) FB group. I got a response from a friend of mine. Definitely keep it in mind for next year!
Children
No Data