Warm water OW races - got a favorite?

I've had a lot of fun with these races and am looking for other ideas for warm OW swims (over 75 degrees?) These are the ones I've done. Do you have a fun OW swim you'd recommend that's in warmer water? St John Beach to Beach Miami 10k Swim Around Key West Slam the Dam Thanks! - Kari
  • St. Croix 5 mile in October. Bermuda Around the Sound, also in October. Cancun swim in May. And there are quite a few Hawaii swims with water in the high 70s. I've had a lot of fun with these races and am looking for other ideas for warm OW swims (over 75 degrees?) These are the ones I've done. Do you have a fun OW swim you'd recommend that's in warmer water? St John Beach to Beach Miami 10k Swim Around Key West Slam the Dam Thanks! - Kari
  • Northwest Longbridge Swim (Sandpoint, ID) Polson Bay's Water Daze (Polson, MT) Arizona AZ Open Water Series - Canyon Lake as long as it's between late May and early to mid October (http://www.azopenwater.com/) - come out for the May 30th race California If you are really, really luck, La Jolla Rough Water Swim (my favorite OW event) will be warm-ish (e.g., above 70!), but it can be in the mid-to-low 60's if you're unlucky
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Kari, You inspired me last yr to go for the swim around Key west 2016. I was thinking of the Miami 10K. for this year to work up to the distance. recommend? do you know how the age group awards are broken down? I can't seem to find any good info on this race. Thier website is no very good. You can reply via my e-mail if you want it's sburns@ucmo.edu
  • PWB thanks for some other ideas. Mom lives in San Diego, so the races out there are on the list (despite being on the cooler side). I'll definitely look into Arizona. I also found one down in Biloxi, MS in May I might do since it's so close to my old squadron I used to fly out of. I'll get to see some of the old peeps. And SBurns, Miami 10k is a perfect gut check event since it's about halfway through your training. And yes, I'm so excited you're looking at Key West. It's such a fun race - good for the mind and body. I'll have to look back at the Miami race and email you offline.
  • Northwest Longbridge Swim (Sandpoint, ID) Sandpoint Longbridge Swim is not a warm water swim. According to their website, the expected temperature is between 65 - 70 degrees. This was the my open-water swim and now I'm hooked!
  • How about Swim Around Lido Key, Sarasota FL. “This is a 7-mile race around the beautiful island of Lido Key.” Date: Apr 12, 2015 www.usms.org/.../event.php
  • Northwest Longbridge Swim (Sandpoint, ID) Sandpoint Longbridge Swim is not a warm water swim. According to their website, the expected temperature is between 65 - 70 degrees. This was the my open-water swim and now I'm hooked!Agreed ... kind of ... I did this race a few years back when it was the national championship and, while the water was a bit brisk, the air was hot enough that it felt like a warm water swim.