St. John Beach-to-Beach Power Swim

Hello! Has anyone on this forum ever done this swim, or is there anyone who is planning on doing it in 2014? I am doing it this year for the first time and I just wanted to see who else out there has been involved in this swim. I'm really looking forward to it!!! -Courtney
  • Love, love, loved this swim! Did the 3.5 last year. It's like swimming in a fish tank and I felt like Dory in Finding Nemo several times when I got distracted by some shiny fish or object - had to keep remembering to race. It's well run and a nice fast race with a slight tail current for a lot of it. Definitely work on your sighting. Several of us missed some bouys heading into the 3rd bay and had to backtrack - probably cost us each about 5 minutes, dangit. They were hard to find. The pre-race meeting the evening before is good to get insight into the bays and sighting. Well worth the time spent at the meeting. The awards are really nice too - all made of local handblown glass. STJ itself is a dream. I hope you're staying for a few days afterwards because it's just gorgeous. You can rent a car and just drive all over. Stop anywhere to snorkel for a bit. Do some hiking and sightseeing. We really enjoyed going over to Waterlemon Bay and Cay to snorkel. Lots of turtles there. It was probably 1/2 mile walk on a dirt path after you parked to get to the a spot to snorkel. Holler at me if you want more information or have questions. I'd planned to go back this year but it was just too expensive with grad school coming up this fall. Let me know how you do and how you enjoy it!
  • Hi, thanks for the reply - I'm just seeing it now! Thanks for the tip on the sighting. Do you go into each bay and back out if you're going to Trunk or Hawksnest? I signed up for the 2.something (Trunk). I'm a little worried about sea creatures, haha - I'm of the mind that ignorance (opaque water) is bliss :) But my real concern is overheating. I know it's early in the morning so it should be a little cooler, but the water has got to be pretty warm for racing, right? How was it for you? I know, I love St. John!! I've been several times before but this is my first time doing the swim. I'm actually going to be there on vacation the week before the race. Hopefully I won't sit on my butt so much or consume so many painkillers that I can't compete! :)
  • Ah PKs. They're the death of me, but one of the best treats when down on the islands. LOL! For the most part, you just follow the coastline and since you're not doing that last turn, you should be easy going on the navigation for the 2+ miler. When you go to the pre-race briefing, they have a good map that is looped so you'll have the visuals to help get you situated. They'll go through photos of specific points to aim for on the horizon (from a water level view) to help you while you're navigating too. And there are plenty of kayakers/SUPs spread out to catch you if you get off course a bit. The link to the course is on the site. www.friendsvinp.org/race-course-map I'm happy in warmer water, but from what I remember, it was a perfect temp both in and out of the water. I want to say it was right at 80 in the water. Get a good sunscreen that lasts for about 90 minutes like Bullfrog. You don't want to screw up the rest of the vacation 'cause your back and butt are burned. Your race ends in Trunk Cay bay which is the prettiest one, honestly. Once you come around the bend, aim for the south tip of the little island in that bay and drive to the finish. There's a neat underwater snorkeling "trail" on the west side of that mini-island that has markers underwater showing different types of fish, coral, etc. Gorgeous. You'll love this race. I almost hate to talk so well of it because more people will be fighting to go to it. :) Let me know how it goes and feel free to shoot me a note if you have more questions. And don't worry about critters. There's enough churn that the big ones stay away and all you see are the pretty tropical small fish. It's as if you have your own, colorful spectator stand.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hi Courtney, I'll be doing this swim for the 1st time also. Gonna do the full 3.5 as a personal challenge to myself. Love St. John and am so looking forward to getting back there. Who knows, maybe I'll see you down there. Thanks Flystorms for the additional info as well.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hi Mermaid522, I was able to get signed up for this free clinic, it was limited to 15 so you might want to see if there are still spots available. Being a first timer I'm hoping to gain some valuable tips. I'll take all the help I can get: Swim clinic: Celeste St. Pierre, a Total Immersion master coach, is offering a free 90 minute open water swimming clinic on Friday, May 23rd at Cinnamon Bay from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm, just before the pre-race meeting. During this 90 minute clinic you will learn and practice the following skills: · Sighting and navigating · Relaxing in the water · Understanding race day anxiety and how to create a “cocoon of calm” · Race day starts and finishes The clinic is limited to only 15 participants. You must register in advance and it is on a first come first served basis. Register on-line (only) at: totalimmersion.net/.../1447-open-water-skills-clinic-st-john-usvi
  • Good luck to you too, Johnny. Would love to hear how you both do and how much you loved it!
  • Defintely, definitely go to the pre-race meeting. They do a great job of showing you the route, showing you some landmarks you'll see from the water to help you navigate, and get some of the jitters out. It's well worth the time.
  • Hi Johnny! Yes, maybe I will see you there! I think I'm going to skip the clinic, but I am planning on going to the pre-race meeting, if possible. I am so looking forward to this race!!! I really need a vacation :) Courtney
  • Hi, Flystorms! Hope you've been well. Can you give me any info on the after-swim party? Where do they hold it and what is it like? Are food/drinks included? Just curious and would like to know upfront since I have a few people coming to see the swim! I'm leaving for St. John on Sunday - can't wait!!
  • I just found out a little more about it after looking online...have you won an award before? how do you know if you did and if you should go to the awards thing??