St. John Beach-to-Beach Power Swim

Hello! Has anyone on this forum ever done this swim, or is there anyone who is planning on doing it in 2014? I am doing it this year for the first time and I just wanted to see who else out there has been involved in this swim. I'm really looking forward to it!!! -Courtney
Parents
  • Love, love, loved this swim! Did the 3.5 last year. It's like swimming in a fish tank and I felt like Dory in Finding Nemo several times when I got distracted by some shiny fish or object - had to keep remembering to race. It's well run and a nice fast race with a slight tail current for a lot of it. Definitely work on your sighting. Several of us missed some bouys heading into the 3rd bay and had to backtrack - probably cost us each about 5 minutes, dangit. They were hard to find. The pre-race meeting the evening before is good to get insight into the bays and sighting. Well worth the time spent at the meeting. The awards are really nice too - all made of local handblown glass. STJ itself is a dream. I hope you're staying for a few days afterwards because it's just gorgeous. You can rent a car and just drive all over. Stop anywhere to snorkel for a bit. Do some hiking and sightseeing. We really enjoyed going over to Waterlemon Bay and Cay to snorkel. Lots of turtles there. It was probably 1/2 mile walk on a dirt path after you parked to get to the a spot to snorkel. Holler at me if you want more information or have questions. I'd planned to go back this year but it was just too expensive with grad school coming up this fall. Let me know how you do and how you enjoy it!
  • Love, love, loved this swim! Did the 3.5 last year. It's like swimming in a fish tank and I felt like Dory in Finding Nemo several times when I got distracted by some shiny fish or object - had to keep remembering to race. It's well run and a nice fast race with a slight tail current for a lot of it. Definitely work on your sighting. Several of us missed some bouys heading into the 3rd bay and had to backtrack - probably cost us each about 5 minutes, dangit. They were hard to find. The pre-race meeting the evening before is good to get insight into the bays and sighting. Well worth the time spent at the meeting. The awards are really nice too - all made of local handblown glass. STJ itself is a dream. I hope you're staying for a few days afterwards because it's just gorgeous. You can rent a car and just drive all over. Stop anywhere to snorkel for a bit. Do some hiking and sightseeing. We really enjoyed going over to Waterlemon Bay and Cay to snorkel. Lots of turtles there. It was probably 1/2 mile walk on a dirt path after you parked to get to the a spot to snorkel. Holler at me if you want more information or have questions. I'd planned to go back this year but it was just too expensive with grad school coming up this fall. Let me know how you do and how you enjoy it!
Children
No Data