St. John Beach-to-Beach Power Swim

Hello! Has anyone on this forum ever done this swim, or is there anyone who is planning on doing it in 2014? I am doing it this year for the first time and I just wanted to see who else out there has been involved in this swim. I'm really looking forward to it!!! -Courtney
Parents
  • Ah PKs. They're the death of me, but one of the best treats when down on the islands. LOL! For the most part, you just follow the coastline and since you're not doing that last turn, you should be easy going on the navigation for the 2+ miler. When you go to the pre-race briefing, they have a good map that is looped so you'll have the visuals to help get you situated. They'll go through photos of specific points to aim for on the horizon (from a water level view) to help you while you're navigating too. And there are plenty of kayakers/SUPs spread out to catch you if you get off course a bit. The link to the course is on the site. www.friendsvinp.org/race-course-map I'm happy in warmer water, but from what I remember, it was a perfect temp both in and out of the water. I want to say it was right at 80 in the water. Get a good sunscreen that lasts for about 90 minutes like Bullfrog. You don't want to screw up the rest of the vacation 'cause your back and butt are burned. Your race ends in Trunk Cay bay which is the prettiest one, honestly. Once you come around the bend, aim for the south tip of the little island in that bay and drive to the finish. There's a neat underwater snorkeling "trail" on the west side of that mini-island that has markers underwater showing different types of fish, coral, etc. Gorgeous. You'll love this race. I almost hate to talk so well of it because more people will be fighting to go to it. :) Let me know how it goes and feel free to shoot me a note if you have more questions. And don't worry about critters. There's enough churn that the big ones stay away and all you see are the pretty tropical small fish. It's as if you have your own, colorful spectator stand.
  • Ah PKs. They're the death of me, but one of the best treats when down on the islands. LOL! For the most part, you just follow the coastline and since you're not doing that last turn, you should be easy going on the navigation for the 2+ miler. When you go to the pre-race briefing, they have a good map that is looped so you'll have the visuals to help get you situated. They'll go through photos of specific points to aim for on the horizon (from a water level view) to help you while you're navigating too. And there are plenty of kayakers/SUPs spread out to catch you if you get off course a bit. The link to the course is on the site. www.friendsvinp.org/race-course-map I'm happy in warmer water, but from what I remember, it was a perfect temp both in and out of the water. I want to say it was right at 80 in the water. Get a good sunscreen that lasts for about 90 minutes like Bullfrog. You don't want to screw up the rest of the vacation 'cause your back and butt are burned. Your race ends in Trunk Cay bay which is the prettiest one, honestly. Once you come around the bend, aim for the south tip of the little island in that bay and drive to the finish. There's a neat underwater snorkeling "trail" on the west side of that mini-island that has markers underwater showing different types of fish, coral, etc. Gorgeous. You'll love this race. I almost hate to talk so well of it because more people will be fighting to go to it. :) Let me know how it goes and feel free to shoot me a note if you have more questions. And don't worry about critters. There's enough churn that the big ones stay away and all you see are the pretty tropical small fish. It's as if you have your own, colorful spectator stand.
Children
No Data