Considering open water swimming...

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering Round the Sound for my first open water swim. Of course I've swum in lakes and creeks and the ocean before, but not like this. The only "competitive" swimming for me has been in a pool. Is there anything I can do to get ready by swimming in a pool?
  • Practice swimming with your head up as if looking for markers. It's harder than you think. Good luck
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I would offer this advice, knowing that compared to most on this forum, I am a novice. (5 open water swims) : Be sure to warm up! On my last ow swim (2 miles last weekend) I was unable to swim any significant warm up. I did get in to make sure I was not going to have that gagging reflex (see earlier posts). but did not have the time to swim say my normal 750 yards to warm up. and the first 1 and a half miles was labor intensive. finally with 1/2 mile to go, I felt really great and smooth. The conditions had not changed, but I was finally ready! what should have been the hardest part, was by far the easiest and fastest.. my two cents worth. Good luck with your swim.
  • Former Member
    I am considering Round the Sound for my first open water swim. Of course I've swum in lakes and creeks and the ocean before, but not like this. The only "competitive" swimming for me has been in a pool. Is there anything I can do to get ready by swimming in a pool? Well, yeah, you can train, train, train until you're in the shape you want to be in and then take it to the open water. I'm certainly biased since I do 99% of my training in open water, but open water swimming isn't entirely different from pool swimming - in fact, it's easier because you don't keep running into the end of the water. The strangest thing about open water racing - for me - was all the people around, and the occasional person getting in my space, but even that wasn't such a big deal. If you get a chance to OW race before the Round The Sound, great; if not train in the pool and use this as your entry into OW racing.
  • Former Member
    in fact, it's easier because you don't keep running into the end of the water. :confused: Ah, I would say no, not even close....no walls to rest, lifting your head to constantly spot, large groups to fight, wind, weather. OW is like distance running, once you get going you just keep going, and going. Its ALL about getting into a groove.
  • To have good time in the open water the first thing you must do is train. Either in the pool or in the open water you must swim. Training for the open water can be done, I feel, 90% in the pool. But the experience of swimming in the open water, while similar, is not the same. The open water changes with the time of day, weather and season. There are weeds, fish, waves, rocks, trees and sun in the open water all that make for a different experience for almost every swim. So consider it strongly to do. You will not regret doing so.:bliss:
  • Former Member
    There are a lot of things you can do to prepare for your first open water race. However the single most important thing is to be prepared to have a lot more fun than racing in a pool.
  • Former Member
    I've been doing open water for eight years, not that that makes me an expert, but I do have a lot of ocean time. I would suggest two things: 1) swim a couple of hundred yards and then sprint a lap. What this does is create a new "gear". The gear will allow you to pass groups of people who may be in your way mid-swim. It takes a lot of energy to pass groups of people, but training for it will give you that confidence that you can "sprint" mid swim and then resume your normal swim pace. The second thing is visual sighting. You may want to lift your head about 10 yards out in the pool approaching the wall just to get used to doing this. It can take a little more shoulder energy, so train for it. The last thing is: don't follow the person in front of you no matter what! Swim your own race. If that person is off course, you'll end up following. Donna
  • Former Member
    One of the cool things about Bermuda swim is that it's not at all hectic and crowded at the start-thank goodness! I seem to spend most of my time swimming alone. it's a challenge to navigate if you do the 10k but fun!!
  • Former Member
    I would suggest the following: 1) In the pool start to alternate breathing left then right, left then right... if you have waves coming from one side you can breathe on the other side. 2) Before your open water race do some sprinting to get your heart rate up and adjusted to water temp before starting. You don't want to get water shock at the start of the race - you could panic. 3) At start (if this is your first race) I would hang back by the rear on the outside... let the "IRONMEN" fight for first and churn it all up. Just slide in and swim on the outside of that pack - less bumping and stress. 4) Practice sighting in open water if possible - swim from buoy to buoy looking up every 10 - 20 strokes to see how you drift due to stroke unevenness or current or waves. Sighting is the hardest thing to get used to in OW - no black line! 5) islandsox above has a great suggestion - practice your high gear for passing - you will need that mid-end race if you have some reserves and want to start "turning it on". 6) You can find a "sighting stroke" that works for you - sometimes I use a weird freestyle with my head popping up out of the water - no body roll - that way I am moving forward while looking up for my course to the next buoy. Some folks just do a couple of *** strokes... whatever works for you. 7) Stretch a lot - water is usually a lot colder than pool ( I swim in Lake Michigan - not in the tropics ). Hydrate a lot and eat bananas - long distance swimming can cause these creeping cramps that go from your foot to your calf to your thigh... avoid those!
  • Former Member
    I am considering Round the Sound for my first open water swim. Of course I've swum in lakes and creeks and the ocean before, but not like this. The only "competitive" swimming for me has been in a pool. Is there anything I can do to get ready by swimming in a pool? The pool will get you conditioned for the distance, but you need to swim longer in a pool. Knowing you can do the distance in a pool will give you confidence that you can complete and compete. The pool, however, will not prepare you entirely. OW is much different. The start is hectic and crowded, but just keep your head in the water, breath, relax, if you swallow water, get kicked, or feel panicked, just relax and keep doing what you know how to do - swim (thanks to the pool). Eventually, the field evens out, and you could be swimming all alone (or so it seems). Enjoy it. Sighting is much different. Practicing in a pool might help, but in OW, the distances seem intimidating, especially as you are positioned lower in the water. Learn to sight, it works different muscles in your neck, shoulders, and back. You'll be sore on race day. Learn to breath on both sides comfortably. You'll be glad you did. If you don't, that's alright, but as the distances increase, you'll notice the need for it. Have fun!