Considering open water swimming...

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering Round the Sound for my first open water swim. Of course I've swum in lakes and creeks and the ocean before, but not like this. The only "competitive" swimming for me has been in a pool. Is there anything I can do to get ready by swimming in a pool?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Good advice. I learned early on not to follow anyone. I swim my race at my pace going in the direction my experience tells me. This minimizes the distractions and allows me to focus on my stroke and breathing. At the start, I'm the one on the side swinging wide; better to swim a little further than having to screw up your stroke and breathing fighting for position. To be sure, experience is the best teacher. Have fun learning.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I've been doing open water for eight years, not that that makes me an expert, but I do have a lot of ocean time. I would suggest two things: 1) swim a couple of hundred yards and then sprint a lap. What this does is create a new "gear". The gear will allow you to pass groups of people who may be in your way mid-swim. It takes a lot of energy to pass groups of people, but training for it will give you that confidence that you can "sprint" mid swim and then resume your normal swim pace. The second thing is visual sighting. You may want to lift your head about 10 yards out in the pool approaching the wall just to get used to doing this. It can take a little more shoulder energy, so train for it. The last thing is: don't follow the person in front of you no matter what! Swim your own race. If that person is off course, you'll end up following. Donna Your last point, "don't follow the person in front of you" is spot on. Doing so throws off your focus, and could well get you off in the wrong direction. I think this has happened to many of us OW swimmers. You have to find your "line" and site according to the way you have trained. Don't put your race into another swimmer's hands.