Considering open water swimming...

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering Round the Sound for my first open water swim. Of course I've swum in lakes and creeks and the ocean before, but not like this. The only "competitive" swimming for me has been in a pool. Is there anything I can do to get ready by swimming in a pool?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I am considering Round the Sound for my first open water swim. Of course I've swum in lakes and creeks and the ocean before, but not like this. The only "competitive" swimming for me has been in a pool. Is there anything I can do to get ready by swimming in a pool? The pool will get you conditioned for the distance, but you need to swim longer in a pool. Knowing you can do the distance in a pool will give you confidence that you can complete and compete. The pool, however, will not prepare you entirely. OW is much different. The start is hectic and crowded, but just keep your head in the water, breath, relax, if you swallow water, get kicked, or feel panicked, just relax and keep doing what you know how to do - swim (thanks to the pool). Eventually, the field evens out, and you could be swimming all alone (or so it seems). Enjoy it. Sighting is much different. Practicing in a pool might help, but in OW, the distances seem intimidating, especially as you are positioned lower in the water. Learn to sight, it works different muscles in your neck, shoulders, and back. You'll be sore on race day. Learn to breath on both sides comfortably. You'll be glad you did. If you don't, that's alright, but as the distances increase, you'll notice the need for it. Have fun!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I am considering Round the Sound for my first open water swim. Of course I've swum in lakes and creeks and the ocean before, but not like this. The only "competitive" swimming for me has been in a pool. Is there anything I can do to get ready by swimming in a pool? The pool will get you conditioned for the distance, but you need to swim longer in a pool. Knowing you can do the distance in a pool will give you confidence that you can complete and compete. The pool, however, will not prepare you entirely. OW is much different. The start is hectic and crowded, but just keep your head in the water, breath, relax, if you swallow water, get kicked, or feel panicked, just relax and keep doing what you know how to do - swim (thanks to the pool). Eventually, the field evens out, and you could be swimming all alone (or so it seems). Enjoy it. Sighting is much different. Practicing in a pool might help, but in OW, the distances seem intimidating, especially as you are positioned lower in the water. Learn to sight, it works different muscles in your neck, shoulders, and back. You'll be sore on race day. Learn to breath on both sides comfortably. You'll be glad you did. If you don't, that's alright, but as the distances increase, you'll notice the need for it. Have fun!
Children
No Data