Considering open water swimming...

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering Round the Sound for my first open water swim. Of course I've swum in lakes and creeks and the ocean before, but not like this. The only "competitive" swimming for me has been in a pool. Is there anything I can do to get ready by swimming in a pool?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I would offer this advice, knowing that compared to most on this forum, I am a novice. (5 open water swims) : Be sure to warm up! On my last ow swim (2 miles last weekend) I was unable to swim any significant warm up. I did get in to make sure I was not going to have that gagging reflex (see earlier posts). but did not have the time to swim say my normal 750 yards to warm up. and the first 1 and a half miles was labor intensive. finally with 1/2 mile to go, I felt really great and smooth. The conditions had not changed, but I was finally ready! what should have been the hardest part, was by far the easiest and fastest.. my two cents worth. Good luck with your swim.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I would offer this advice, knowing that compared to most on this forum, I am a novice. (5 open water swims) : Be sure to warm up! On my last ow swim (2 miles last weekend) I was unable to swim any significant warm up. I did get in to make sure I was not going to have that gagging reflex (see earlier posts). but did not have the time to swim say my normal 750 yards to warm up. and the first 1 and a half miles was labor intensive. finally with 1/2 mile to go, I felt really great and smooth. The conditions had not changed, but I was finally ready! what should have been the hardest part, was by far the easiest and fastest.. my two cents worth. Good luck with your swim.
Children
No Data