Sh-sh-shark!

Former Member
Former Member
You probably know what's coming next. Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    swimatyourownrisk.com/.../picture-2.png Here's a photo. Likely a white shark... I'm sure we'll hear more about this one.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the video link. They interviewed George H. Burgess, Director of the Florida Program for Shark Research and International Shark Attack File Web Editor. www.jawsmovie.com/.../Beach_Closed.jpg T
  • Former Member
    He was wearing a wet-suit! I hear that @ Seaworld,..the trainers wear wetsuits that are black and white,.mimiking a killer whale.
  • Former Member
    We swim in their living room,...not too much of a surprise when one of us is dealt with. It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase,.." The fish are bitting".
  • Former Member
    Another fatal shark attack, 2nd fatal attack in 4 days... Plus, 3 bites in 3 days at New Smyrna Beach, FL: Sat. 26th, Sun. 27th and Mon. 28th. That's 5 consective days with attacks, 2 fatal. IXTAPA, Mexico (KGO) -- On Tuesday night, friends of a San Francisco man who took a surfing trip to Mexico, got the tragic news that he is the victim of a shark attack. Mexican authorities say it happened off the Southern Pacific Coast at Troncones Beach near the resort town of Ixtapa. The attack happened about 300 yards from shore. abclocal.go.com/.../story TRIVIA: Interesting for movie fans that this attack on Troncones Beach took place very close to Zihuatanejo, the Mexican paradise where Andy and Red go in the end of THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.
  • Former Member
    We swim in their living room,...not too much of a surprise when one of us is dealt with. Very true. When we enter the ocean we also immediately enter the food chain. Here's a Mexican newspaper photo of that surfers leg, no wonder he died. I don't think they'd run photos like that in our newspapers... Photo shows the large shark attack wound to surfer Adrian Ruiz's leg WARNING: Graphic Photo: www.underwatertimes.com/news.php I just checked the ISAF, for anyone doing the Bonaire Eco Swim there has only been 2 recorded shark attacks (non-fatal) in the Netherland Antilles since the year 1749. I think we are safe. :-)
  • Former Member
    Will I swim in the Ocean again. Safe beaches, are they safe??? I leave for Mexico again in a few days and should we just confine our swimming to the pools? The safe beach were I swim in Melaque last year, a child was taken by a Crocodile that had escaped from a lagoon during flooding. I have run into a 14 ft crocodile while swimming in the Ocean at another safe beach, Boca De Iquana. I think I will stick to the pool. Are my fears coming back to me like I had after seeing the movie JAWS?
  • Will I swim in the Ocean again. Safe beaches, are they safe??? I leave for Mexico again in a few days and should we just confine our swimming to the pools? The safe beach were I swim in Melaque last year, a child was taken by a Crocodile that had escaped from a lagoon during flooding. I have run into a 14 ft crocodile while swimming in the Ocean at another safe beach, Boca De Iquana. I think I will stick to the pool. Are my fears coming back to me like I had after seeing the movie JAWS? When I told friends I was doing an open water ocean swim on the NJ coast, they regaled me with stories of shark attacks. Great way to build confidence. But then again, I can go running and risk being hit by a car, attacked by a dog, or mugged, and yet I still run... taking reasonable precautions, of course. Life is full of risk, and we don't leave alive, although I have to admit the shark stories get me nervous b/c the idea of being sushi for a fish isn't my idea of living large. There's something primordial in the fear of being eaten by an animal that I think gives me the shivers in ways that the possibility of, say, the Fairmount Park rapist (in Philly) jumping me--scary as that is--doesn't even touch.
  • Former Member
    Having grown up on a barrier island, one of my favorite things was to swim in the surf at night. Dangerous? Probably, but there is just nothing like it and I always indulge when I get the chance. A little skinny dipping in a pretty pond at night is just about as good. I always thought I wanted to become certified in night diving (scuba). HOWEVER! A couple of weeks ago I was at a function that took place in an aquarium after closing hours (8pm to midnight). The group had the entire building/exhibits to ourselves, which was really cool. One of the exhibits is a spring fed pond with a huge floor to ceiling, wall to wall window. Your vantage point at this exhibit is well below the surface of the water. Well, because this exhibit is really outside and a natural pond, it was not lit in any way except the moon light. The room in which you stand to observe this exhibit is very dimly lit also. As I was standing, in the dark, in front of this exhibit, bass, garr, etc would come out of the darkness every now and then and swim past the window. But then, this gigantic fish, that was at least 6 feet long was suddendly in front of me. I never saw it coming up to the glass. It totally creeped me out :bolt: That did it! I don't think I will ever go back in unclorinated water at night again. And that certainly cured me of wanting to scuba dive at night. I still haven't gotten over that creeped out sensation. :bolt:Lainey