Sh-sh-shark!

Former Member
Former Member
You probably know what's coming next. Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace...
Parents
  • Will I swim in the Ocean again. Safe beaches, are they safe??? I leave for Mexico again in a few days and should we just confine our swimming to the pools? The safe beach were I swim in Melaque last year, a child was taken by a Crocodile that had escaped from a lagoon during flooding. I have run into a 14 ft crocodile while swimming in the Ocean at another safe beach, Boca De Iquana. I think I will stick to the pool. Are my fears coming back to me like I had after seeing the movie JAWS? When I told friends I was doing an open water ocean swim on the NJ coast, they regaled me with stories of shark attacks. Great way to build confidence. But then again, I can go running and risk being hit by a car, attacked by a dog, or mugged, and yet I still run... taking reasonable precautions, of course. Life is full of risk, and we don't leave alive, although I have to admit the shark stories get me nervous b/c the idea of being sushi for a fish isn't my idea of living large. There's something primordial in the fear of being eaten by an animal that I think gives me the shivers in ways that the possibility of, say, the Fairmount Park rapist (in Philly) jumping me--scary as that is--doesn't even touch.
  • Will I swim in the Ocean again. Safe beaches, are they safe??? I leave for Mexico again in a few days and should we just confine our swimming to the pools? The safe beach were I swim in Melaque last year, a child was taken by a Crocodile that had escaped from a lagoon during flooding. I have run into a 14 ft crocodile while swimming in the Ocean at another safe beach, Boca De Iquana. I think I will stick to the pool. Are my fears coming back to me like I had after seeing the movie JAWS? When I told friends I was doing an open water ocean swim on the NJ coast, they regaled me with stories of shark attacks. Great way to build confidence. But then again, I can go running and risk being hit by a car, attacked by a dog, or mugged, and yet I still run... taking reasonable precautions, of course. Life is full of risk, and we don't leave alive, although I have to admit the shark stories get me nervous b/c the idea of being sushi for a fish isn't my idea of living large. There's something primordial in the fear of being eaten by an animal that I think gives me the shivers in ways that the possibility of, say, the Fairmount Park rapist (in Philly) jumping me--scary as that is--doesn't even touch.
Children
No Data