Sh-sh-shark!

Former Member
Former Member
You probably know what's coming next. Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace...
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Having grown up on a barrier island, one of my favorite things was to swim in the surf at night. Dangerous? Probably, but there is just nothing like it and I always indulge when I get the chance. A little skinny dipping in a pretty pond at night is just about as good. I always thought I wanted to become certified in night diving (scuba). HOWEVER! A couple of weeks ago I was at a function that took place in an aquarium after closing hours (8pm to midnight). The group had the entire building/exhibits to ourselves, which was really cool. One of the exhibits is a spring fed pond with a huge floor to ceiling, wall to wall window. Your vantage point at this exhibit is well below the surface of the water. Well, because this exhibit is really outside and a natural pond, it was not lit in any way except the moon light. The room in which you stand to observe this exhibit is very dimly lit also. As I was standing, in the dark, in front of this exhibit, bass, garr, etc would come out of the darkness every now and then and swim past the window. But then, this gigantic fish, that was at least 6 feet long was suddendly in front of me. I never saw it coming up to the glass. It totally creeped me out :bolt: That did it! I don't think I will ever go back in unclorinated water at night again. And that certainly cured me of wanting to scuba dive at night. I still haven't gotten over that creeped out sensation. :bolt:Lainey
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Having grown up on a barrier island, one of my favorite things was to swim in the surf at night. Dangerous? Probably, but there is just nothing like it and I always indulge when I get the chance. A little skinny dipping in a pretty pond at night is just about as good. I always thought I wanted to become certified in night diving (scuba). HOWEVER! A couple of weeks ago I was at a function that took place in an aquarium after closing hours (8pm to midnight). The group had the entire building/exhibits to ourselves, which was really cool. One of the exhibits is a spring fed pond with a huge floor to ceiling, wall to wall window. Your vantage point at this exhibit is well below the surface of the water. Well, because this exhibit is really outside and a natural pond, it was not lit in any way except the moon light. The room in which you stand to observe this exhibit is very dimly lit also. As I was standing, in the dark, in front of this exhibit, bass, garr, etc would come out of the darkness every now and then and swim past the window. But then, this gigantic fish, that was at least 6 feet long was suddendly in front of me. I never saw it coming up to the glass. It totally creeped me out :bolt: That did it! I don't think I will ever go back in unclorinated water at night again. And that certainly cured me of wanting to scuba dive at night. I still haven't gotten over that creeped out sensation. :bolt:Lainey
Children
No Data