The Sprint Free Lane

The Sprint Free Lane If you could be a sprinter, you would. We get more rest. We don't train as far but we go faster. Every move matters. We're fast twitch. We're strong. We're fierce. It's adrenalin We get the glory 50's & 100's are our thing, we wish we could race 25's & 75's, we think of 200's as distance & tend to split longer races quite badly because we have no sense of pace. But it proves to ourselves, our coaches & friends that we have absolutely no business in any race over a 100. 100m Freestyle world record, Cesar Cielo Filho - YouTube What did you do in practice today? the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck Women's Locker Room Men's Locker Room
  • Recently I've been stringing my 25yd sprints into 100yd swims. First 25 is all out, then use the remaining 75yds as a recovery swim. Will do sets of 3s on a 2:00 interval, rest 1 minute, then start the next set. I'll also change things up by doing the 1st 25 no breath, hit the turn, and try 3 sdks + 2 strokes before my 1st breath. As an aside, I find sprint training tougher than workout swimming. It's shorter, but hurts much more (at least for me). :banana:
  • Recently I've been stringing my 25yd sprints into 100yd swims. First 25 is all out, then use the remaining 75yds as a recovery swim. Will do sets of 3s on a 2:00 interval, rest 1 minute, then start the next set. I'll also change things up by doing the 1st 25 no breath, hit the turn, and try 3 sdks + 2 strokes before my 1st breath. As an aside, I find sprint training tougher than workout swimming. It's shorter, but hurts much more (at least for me). :banana: I do something very similar on my sprint days,except I do the 1st 25 BR(because I'm a breaststroker.)
  • Recently I've been stringing my 25yd sprints into 100yd swims. First 25 is all out, then use the remaining 75yds as a recovery swim. Will do sets of 3s on a 2:00 interval, rest 1 minute, then start the next set. I'll also change things up by doing the 1st 25 no breath, hit the turn, and try 3 sdks + 2 strokes before my 1st breath. As an aside, I find sprint training tougher than workout swimming. It's shorter, but hurts much more (at least for me). :banana:We often do something similar to this, called Popov 100s. We do between 8 and 12 of them on 1:50 or so. Swim the first 35 all out, and the last 65 slower but with a strong 6-beat kick. Sometimes you have to switch strokes between the 35 and 65. This is definitely painful and probably not pure speed work, but similar to what you are describing. If you like what you are doing, give these a try.
  • Tonight I am supposed to do a threshold set of: 8 x 100 on 2:00 BPA (Best Possible Average) Then two all out 100s straight and two all out 50s straight both with lots of rest ... does anyone but a sprinter whine about a 1,000 yards?
  • Tonight I am supposed to do a threshold set of: 8 x 100 on 2:00 BPA (Best Possible Average) Then two all out 100s straight and two all out 50s straight both with lots of rest ... does anyone but a sprinter whine about a 1,000 yards? You're in the wrong lane...middle-distance is another thread.:) Nothing easy about that set.
  • You're in the wrong lane...middle-distance is another thread.:) Nothing easy about that set. Sprinters don't just do "easy sets". I actually didn't get around to this last night. I was fried after training and there was a major lack of pool space. I might do 5 x 100 on 2:00. I like threshold sets. I die like a dog and it hurts, but I like it. I have a tiny bit of the masochistic mid-d/distance mentality but can only go all out for 75-100 yards.
  • Sprinters don't just do "easy sets". My comment was in response to you wondering whether only sprinters would whine about 1000-yard sets.
  • My comment was in response to you wondering whether only sprinters would whine about 1000-yard sets. Gotcha! Chris, is there a set that makes you whine? Lots of breaststroke perhaps?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Gotcha! Chris, is there a set that makes you whine? Lots of breaststroke perhaps? A forced warm down longer than a 100. I don't think Chris could handle a nice ez 300 without the use of colorful language.
  • I had to search through several pages of this forum to find this thread. I figured it is to do the fact that the sprint free swimmers don't have time to post on the forums, with all of our sprinting that is tiring us out. I tried to do a sprint-oriented workout with our group today. I think from now on that I will keep those workouts for my solo swimming days. One of my favorite sets is 50 repeats (not sure on the interval) going under your second 50 of your goal 100 on each one from a push.