xtra life lycra - how much "xtra?"

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone tried the Speedo suits made of Polyester/Xtra Life Lycra(R) such as the "Flip Turns" series of suits? I'm wondering how much longer they actually last. My baseline is that a regular Nylon 80%/Spandex 20% suit lasts 2.5-3 months training 3 days/week. Also, Nike is making suits of Polyester and XLA Lastol which looks like a new fiber made by Dow. Any comments on the longevity of that combo would be great, too.
  • I've been getting very good life out of the Endurance/Speedo suits. Roughly 10 months at 6/x per week. Inexpensive too.
  • all I Know is the polyester suits can last up to 4 or more years. The lycra can last a good 6 months but it all depends on how much chlorine is in the pool. The old lycra suits that I use to wear at my Y would last about 3 months until they started to become see through.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I've seen those suits in the catalogs but I have my doubts about the "Xtra Life" Lycra. I'd be willing to try the new Lastol fabric. I think that Lycra and Spandex are the two fibers to stay away from. Right now my workout suit is a Nike, 100% polyester. I've worn it 3-4 times per week for 4 months and it still looks and feels like new. I previously had a Speedo 100% polyester suit that lasted 2 years. The fabric still looked great but the shoulder straps had stretched enough that it wasn't comfortable any more. My only complaint with the Nike suit that I'm wearing now is that I wish I could have gone up one size. The fabric doesn't have much "give" and the suit is a little short. But I got it at TJ Maxx for $12.00, so I guess I have no room to complain! Anna Lea
  • Former Member
    I wear the xtra life lycra and have noticed no difference - I have trouble with fit in poly suits so I tried these: 6-8 weeks is all I get without resorting to indecency. My daughter on the other hand is wearing an Dolphin Ugli poly that she will probably outgrow before it wears out. If the poly suits fit you, go with them.
  • Former Member
    I have "poly" speedos that have worn like iron (really). They are 3 years old and haven't faded or changed shape one little bit - Flyback. I tried the speedo "Flip-Turns" - the color did not fade, but the shape has given way. I would not pay full price for the suit. I favor the speedo endurance - fabic is much softer than the "poly", the color stays well and the shape has held up well. It feels like a lycra suit much longer than the two I already mentioned. Speedo Lycra - or any Lycra - don't spend the money - so not worth it. Splish - color lasted well, however the shape gave way. Dolphin Uglies - held up 'OK' in both color and shape - I am not impressed. Don't pay full price - I wouldn't. I have used these suits in all kinds of chlorinated pools for extended periods of time - like 20 +/- per week of actual water time.
  • Former Member
    My new suit is 82% polyamide, and 18% lycra. Some call polyamide nylon. What a great fit and feel. I rinse it out after each swim in clean cool water. I have worn it 60 times and it feels and looks like new. It is not a speedo, I chose a suit that is 2 sizes smaller then my speedo. I paid $45.00, it is waist to ankle.
  • Former Member
    I am talking about a high tech suit not just a training swim suit. I am wearing this suit just to see how it performs and how many times it will take the gaff. I have heard some of the high tech suits have a very short life span.all I Know is the polyester suits can last up to 4 or more years. The lycra can last a good 6 months but it all depends on how much chlorine is in the pool. The old lycra suits that I use to wear at my Y would last about 3 months until they started to become see through. My Endura has been in use for three years but fits like a potato sack.
  • Former Member
    I tried the speedo "Flip-Turns" - the color did not fade, but the shape has given way. I would not pay full price for the suit. Same here, didn't wear the suit very long - lost it's shape very quickly... disappointed because it was really cute. I've learned my lesson to stick with what works - Nike poly suits are the only way to go for me.
  • Former Member
    Mermaid, thank you for your comments (and for testing all of those different suits). That's good feedback. I'll definitely keep your comments in mind the next time I'm suit shopping.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Anything with spandex will lose its shape quicker than 100% polyester or 100% nylon because it's the nature of the fiber. Spandex has a life cycle. The only thing that will help, is to find original lycra branded product. That will last a bit longer. On the other hand, Lastol is known for being resistant to chlorine and other chemicals so I assume it must last longer than lycra products in the pool environment.