Women's Locker Room

Here's a thread for the ladies to discuss anything that relates to women and swimming. For example, feel free to discuss how disgustingly ugly fastskins are, how the "curse" can kill a meet, how suits don't fit, how swimming wrecks your hair, how hormones unhinge you, etc.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I swim at a very old YMCA where we have one big community shower. It is not too bad in there in the mornings. Well except for the week that a used tampon made its way on top of the shower. We had a lady for a while last winter that would brush her teeth and spit like she was at home. There is only 1 drain right in the middle of 5 shower heads. The age group kids that I swim with in the evenings practice at a middle school. Those middle schoolers dont like to flush no matter what they did. I will not walk anywhere without my flip flops on.
  • Former Member
    You should see what we get in the mens locker room. I once walked into the shower room and a lady was having a shower. I once told a swimmer from Holland that we had new toilets in the mens locker room. I told him we have to sit on the urinal to go to the bathroom, he did.
  • Former Member
    I think everyone woman should get a hysto... best thing since sliced bread!! I hate wet paper in the locker room, I remember all those "Y's" we had swim meets in while growing up, seemed like there was toilet paper everywhere you walked. And of course it was always wet and would squish up between your toes. Hairballs is #2 for me.
  • Former Member
    What cracks me up are the little boys who are really too old to be in the ladies locker room. Boy, do they STARE!! :rofl: When I started swimming, my hysto scar was still a lovely purple, even more prominent when I was wet and cold. This little boy (around 3) threw himself at me while I was buck naked and kissed my scar because he thought it was a big smiley face. His mother may have recovered from horror and embarrassment, but I doubt it!
  • Former Member
    When I started swimming, my hysto scar was still a lovely purple, even more prominent when I was wet and cold. This little boy (around 3) threw himself at me while I was buck naked and kissed my scar because he thought it was a big smiley face. His mother may have recovered from horror and embarrassment, but I doubt it! Aw how cute....and beautiful to see such non fearing innocence.
  • My gripe is with the swimmers who should be using the locker room, but aren't. I'm OK with the deck change, the thing I can't fathom is not taking a shower after getting out of the pool. My hair feels like straw and my body feels like it's been dipped in a coating of chlorine if I don't shower after practice.
  • Haha, I'm 5'11. The last thing I need are platforms. I was 6' tall when I was 12 and platform shoes were in style the first time. I used to wish for 'basement' shoes. :whiteflag:
  • I have graphic questions! I feel like an awkward teen asking this, but I never swam as a kid or teen, so I missed the Talk that you all must have been given. When I started swimming at 37, I was to embarassed to ask my male instructor. So here goes: Obviously you can swim on your period, but do you swim even through the heaviest part? Aren't there leakage issues with all that water sluicing around? Do you wear dark suits just in case? I have been too nervous to swim when bleeding from the wise wound (to put a positive spin on it) but I'm sure it would make me feel better. I just don't want to do anything unsanitary out of ignorance. Someone guide me. Pretend I'm 12. Oh, and Fort and other perimenopausal ladies, I have found a very helpful book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Perimenopause" by Dr. John Lee, which is very informative. I followed his protocol for using USP Progesterone cream and had a great reduction in my symptoms. It is an OTC preparation. If you are troubled by symptoms and like me don't want to do heavy synthetic hormones, it is worth checking out. Willow A friend recently told me that progesterone creams were all the rage. I didn't know they were OTC. I just took the yaz at night to avoid daytime nausea --- BIG MISTAKE. Up till 3:00 am. I'd rather have nausea. I always swim with the curse. Never had a problem, even on the worse days. Just come prepared with the super dee duper tamps. Not saying it's much fun. Always tired, but you can do it. Oh, you tall ladies, I have a closet full of heels. Never leave home without them unless going to the gym.
  • Former Member
    What the #$&*# is "AF"? My gripe is with the swimmers who should be using the locker room, but aren't. The teenaged age-group team gets out of the water just before we get in. Even though they have to walk right past the locker rooms to get out of the building, they don't use them. Instead, they all "deck change" right there on the pool deck. The girls have all mastered the art of pulling down the suit straps, wrapping a towel around their bodies, pulling up their bras under the towels, pulling down the suit from under the towel, pulling on underwear and shorts under the towel, pulling on a t-shirt over the towel, and pulling the towel out from under the t-shirt. They do this right in front of the boys. The more brazen ones don't bother to hide their bras as they perform this ritual. I don't understand why their coach allows it. Anna Lea
  • Former Member
    What the #$&*# is "AF"? My gripe is with the swimmers who should be using the locker room, but aren't. The teenaged age-group team gets out of the water just before we get in. Even though they have to walk right past the locker rooms to get out of the building, they don't use them. Instead, they all "deck change" right there on the pool deck. The girls have all mastered the art of pulling down the suit straps, wrapping a towel around their bodies, pulling up their bras under the towels, pulling down the suit from under the towel, pulling on underwear and shorts under the towel, pulling on a t-shirt over the towel, and pulling the towel out from under the t-shirt. They do this right in front of the boys. The more brazen ones don't bother to hide their bras as they perform this ritual. I don't understand why their coach allows it. Anna Lea We don't want the boy's fun to be ruined now do we?