Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!

Former Member
Former Member
I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Ande, Well I got "The Rack". I figured I would give it a try and see if it made a difference in my kick after a month of consistent use. I will keep you updated. Hook'em Blue
  • Former Member
    I hope I am not boring everyone with these updates, but I am very excited about my progress with my kick after implementing som eof Ande's ideas. Anyway, I did a 2x800 with 15 seconds rest today at the end of the work out and the one thing I noticed is that my new kick really made the swim much easier. I stuck to a two beat kick, but once I got into a rythm I could really feel the extra umpphhh. I could also tell that it made my pull much easier in that I seemed to get much better leverage on my pull. My six beat kick is coming along, but I am still not getting into a good rythm with it yet. It is better though. As to the ankle stretching with the rack, it has been about a week and a half and I actually would say that I have seen some difference. My times aren't much different, but I feel like I am grabbing the water better with my feet. I am definitely cruising better. Hook'em Blue
  • blue, I'd like to see you continue to do the sprint kick training and report your times ande Originally posted by Blue Horn I hope I am not boring everyone with these updates, but I am very excited about my progress with my kick after implementing som eof Ande's ideas. Anyway, I did a 2x800 with 15 seconds rest today at the end of the work out and the one thing I noticed is that my new kick really made the swim much easier. I stuck to a two beat kick, but once I got into a rythm I could really feel the extra umpphhh. I could also tell that it made my pull much easier in that I seemed to get much better leverage on my pull. My six beat kick is coming along, but I am still not getting into a good rythm with it yet. It is better though. As to the ankle stretching with the rack, it has been about a week and a half and I actually would say that I have seen some difference. My times aren't much different, but I feel like I am grabbing the water better with my feet. I am definitely cruising better. Hook'em Blue
  • Former Member
    I have been swimming in a 50 meter pool, but I will try to get to the 25 yard pool this weekend. However, a couple of weeks ago (with a training suit on) I was kicking 34s in a 25 meter pool with 15 seconds rest for a set of 5x25. I am not sure how that translates to a 25 yard pool. Hook'em Blue
  • Former Member
    Ande, I was a bit tired this morning from a lack of sleep, but did a couple of all out 25s during my kick set. Both were from a push in streamline with a centermount snorkle. I went 23 and 24 seconds. The last time I tested I think I went a 20 and 21 from a dive and 26 from a push! Whats really amazing is that I never really thought I would get below 30 seconds for a 25 yard kick. I will do a test kick set this weekend when after some rest. I have been running lately so my legs are exhausted.
  • congratulations you're doing great keep doing the set at least 3 times a week then do a test set once every 2 weeks I may be in aransas pass friday june 16 - sunday june 18 maybe I can catch you at a practice in corpus keep it up, I believe you'll be kicking 25's under 20 soon ande 512-217-2728 cell 512-397-1892 day Originally posted by Blue Horn Ande, I was a bit tired this morning from a lack of sleep, but did a couple of all out 25s during my kick set. Both were from a push in streamline with a centermount snorkle. I went 23 and 24 seconds. The last time I tested I think I went a 20 and 21 from a dive and 26 from a push! Whats really amazing is that I never really thought I would get below 30 seconds for a 25 yard kick. I will do a test kick set this weekend when after some rest. I have been running lately so my legs are exhausted.
  • blue when you do your test kicks for time Kick your legs as FAST as you can and CONCENTRATE on splashing alot WHEN YOU DO let me know your times Ande
  • Former Member
    I will try to do a test as you suggest this weekend. Also, I think I should be here during the time that you are going to be down. Hook'em Blue
  • Former Member
    Why don't we call it the way it is, the kick is the least important part of having a great swim time. Make all the splash you want it won't help if you cannot kick properly. When I was a kid one of the best age group crawl swimmers I knew had one leg that had been removed at the hip.
  • geo, I disagree with you, while the arm stroke is most important, swimmers can make dramatic improvements by improving their kick ande Originally posted by geochuck Why don't we call it the way it is, the kick is the least important part of having a great swim time. Make all the splash you want it won't help if you cannot kick properly. When I was a kid one of the best age group crawl swimmers I knew had one leg that had been removed at the hip.