Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!

Former Member
Former Member
I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I hope I am not boring everyone with these updates, but I am very excited about my progress with my kick after implementing som eof Ande's ideas. Anyway, I did a 2x800 with 15 seconds rest today at the end of the work out and the one thing I noticed is that my new kick really made the swim much easier. I stuck to a two beat kick, but once I got into a rythm I could really feel the extra umpphhh. I could also tell that it made my pull much easier in that I seemed to get much better leverage on my pull. My six beat kick is coming along, but I am still not getting into a good rythm with it yet. It is better though. As to the ankle stretching with the rack, it has been about a week and a half and I actually would say that I have seen some difference. My times aren't much different, but I feel like I am grabbing the water better with my feet. I am definitely cruising better. Hook'em Blue
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I hope I am not boring everyone with these updates, but I am very excited about my progress with my kick after implementing som eof Ande's ideas. Anyway, I did a 2x800 with 15 seconds rest today at the end of the work out and the one thing I noticed is that my new kick really made the swim much easier. I stuck to a two beat kick, but once I got into a rythm I could really feel the extra umpphhh. I could also tell that it made my pull much easier in that I seemed to get much better leverage on my pull. My six beat kick is coming along, but I am still not getting into a good rythm with it yet. It is better though. As to the ankle stretching with the rack, it has been about a week and a half and I actually would say that I have seen some difference. My times aren't much different, but I feel like I am grabbing the water better with my feet. I am definitely cruising better. Hook'em Blue
Children
No Data