Is your pool too hot !

Former Member
Former Member
My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    There is an article in the current issue of SWIM magazine (the USMS publication) which discusses the pool temperature debate. I, too, swim/coach at a pool which is utilized by many different groups (all of which seem to have more weight than the Masters Group, but that's another story) and know the frustration of having to shorten sets, lower intensity, hose down the group, etc. I try to tell them it is an exercise in mental toughness, but that is a bit of a hard sell day after day! Anyway, look at the article and see if it could help your case for cooler water. If nothing else, it tells you how to calculate how high your core temp rises during your workout - gives you something to do during those low intensity swims AND gives you reason to ponder the possibility of spontaneous combustion (how high can my temp go, anyway, before my head explodes?). Good luck...
  • I have never contended, nor will I ever, that people with legitimate medical needs that would benefit from water activity are the problem. Quite the contrary, they should get to use the pool and use it under medical supervision. We should not debate this point further. I totally agree with you on that. I think those of us complaining (and not doing much more than that) is about the overwhelming majority of able bodied floaters that make up most water aerobics classes. I also won't contend I know what I'm talking about (your educated comment). However, I do a lot of travelling and a whole lot of swimming and every single class I encounter has the same issue. The notable exception is one class I witnessed at the Hartford, CT YMCA. Those jokers were really doing it right. Lastly, do you think there is any correlation with the wave of super sized Americans and the onset of sub sized fitness ideas(i.e. - water aerobics, the fat zapper thing, the rubber band contraption, thigh master, that crazy metal horse thing my wife rides, etc)? I'm sure I have offended everyone now. My punishment (self imposed) may be a water aerobics class where I can get flogged by numerous noodles.
  • Former Member
    If I saw just one of The Blobs really working it, I certainly would not be posting any comment. Again, just one single person. Instead, what I see are human jellies floating via belt, and barely moving their feet or hands. Most of which are actually younger people, but look much older due to their obesity. We've all done drills in the deep end, where one treads fast and furious for a dedicated amount of time. These drills leave a person worn out, and even sore at times...because it's actually real work! Even the handicapped people at the lap pool work harder, and are more fit than The Blobs. And, yes, one could argue that "they're making an effort." However, it just seems to me, that in fact, they are not making an effort at all. It's society that pays the price for the avoidable health problems of being severly overweight! I've heard in England if one has high blood pressure, etc. that the perscription is diet and exercise. Here it's several different medications! What's wrong with this picture!? Maybe it's different at some pools, but for the most part, these aerobics classes enable obesity, and creat disillusion because it makes people "feel like they're trying". Puhlease. The other sad part, is that my health club has a cafe--and often times I see The Blobs in there eating cookies, and other fattening foods. This drives me crazy. Outside of rehab, pregnancy, or handicap, water aerobics is useless and displaced effort. If any one of those class participants decided to come over and swim some laps, I would gladly share a lane, because I would be thrilled to see effort. Lainey and a couple of others might have a different type of water aerobics program at her pool (one that is actually effective), but in general, we're all feeling the same pain. Why does this topic get me so fired up, I ask myself! :rolleyes:
  • Former Member
    snip>And, it never fails that one of the fittest swimmers is in the pool--a guy who does the Ironman every year--and they make him move for the sake of The Blobs. In my opinion, water classes are an insult to fitness. And also an insult to anyone who sees a participant, as it could nearly make one's eyes fall out (and not in a good way, if you know what I mean). Why are we taking the p*ss out of others on this forum? I totally understand the frustration regarding the relationship between overly heated pools and aqua fitness people- but do we have to resort to name calling? I'm somewhat chubby and I quite frankly I resent the use of the term, 'blob,' when refering to those who are overweight. Again, I totally agree with what has been said about the 'no pain, no gain,' theories; I've done many types of training from boxing (proper boxing, not that cardio rubbish) to training for triathlons, and the only way to get fit is to train hard (and I mean HARD)... but sometimes you just have to worry about your own training and less about others... SO, what WAS this thread about, anyway?? ;) peace...
  • Former Member
    Blob refers to those who are severly overweight, could help themselves via effective exercise and healthy diet, but opt not to try to help themselves at all. Obviously that's not you Elaine. As a consequence of such people who do not try, society pays the price in terms of healthcare. If someone chooses to eat 4 supersized meals a day, and weigh 300 or more pounds, fine. Do it. But, please don't get in the pool and demand a high temperature only to loaf around on a noodle, pretending to do activity. Not only is that useless, but it makes others who are really trying to improve and achieve fitness, suffer. For some reason this topic just gets me everytime...so I'm off the box now. ;)
  • Former Member
    Hey- I totally hear where you're coming from regarding the clinically obese- I used to be really overweight because of medication- I got fed up with my body image, stopped all med.s and made up my mind to lose the weight, which I did. I met my husband who is really into fitness, and I started working out and have never looked back... Again, I agree with what has been said about going through the motions of exercise (living in S. Florida, we see all sorts of people in all shapes and sizes waddling around because their doctor told them to); it's kind of like the obese guy ordering pie a la mode and telling the waitor to make sure that the coke is diet... We have water aerobic classes (or whatever they're called) where I train, and yes, some of them can really irritate me... but so can some of the lap swimmers as well- one of my pet peeves is the senior citizens (g-d love them!) who will stand at the end of my lane in anticipation of my leaving so they can have the third lane from the ladder (for some reason, they have to use the SAME lane EVERY day, or the world will collapse or something)- one chap in particular will stand there, obviously dismayed that I (and the rest of the Masters) haven't finished by exactly 8 a.m., on the dot... I'm not even half-way out of the lane, and he's already splashing towards me, fins, snorkel and all... I guess we just have to realise (myself included) that the world doesn't revolve around us wonderful masters' swimmers and just get on with it... Having said ALL that... I find it hard to believe that the management at these facilities do not realise how unhealthy- and dangerous- it is to have the water temp. so high in the summer, esp. for the teams that have to train in them...
  • Former Member
    Aquageek, The reason why you probably never saw the overweight people before was probably due to the thought process at the time. It wasn't to long ago when the thought was to put people away (ie you had heart surgery, a stroke, arthritis, diabetes, asthma....whatever) no more physical activities, time for backgammon, shuffle board, knitting. My father was an example of this, his junior year he was diagnosed as a juvenile brittle diabetic and was restricted from playing on the High School football team (which he did his 1st two years - running back and defensive back so not necessarily a big person by any standard). New thinking and what have you now, Gary Hall an insulin dependent diabetic (like my father) national level swimmer and olympic champion. The big difference here is just the thinking of the time - there are plenty of kids who are diabetic participating in sports because the thinking has changed with education and research. As I have said before, I can understand where your comments are coming from, there is truth to them but at the same time it may come from not being educated. One facility I was a supervisor at we had an Aqua exercise class made up of almost all seniors ( let me explain this so as not to sound politically incorrect). We promoted a class specifically for those living in an assisted living centers (S.M.I.L.E. - Slow Movement Interactive Leisure Exercise) - we had 3 participants in the group who had been wheel chair bound for months and could handle a dozen or so steps with a walker at best, within 6 months they were walking from the lockeroom to the pool with a walker about 40 feet on their own. The other fact is these people were getting out of the care facility twice per week which is another benefit (not sure how many people would survive or want to survive if you were stuck in the same place all the time). These people (blobs, aerobes whatever you want to call them) pay money to use the pool just as you do and have the same rights to do so as you. A quick daily sample (number are skewed to favor the lap swimmers from this day compared to others) has 63 lap swimmers ; 15 aqua exercise ; 17 open recreation and 70 lesson participants who used my lap pool or in other words roughly 63 people who would like the pool cooler and 102 people who would like the pool warmer - I'm pretty sure my numbers/ratio 3 to 5 would be fairly consistent to most multi use facilities, so you can see why my water temp may be a little warmer than 80-81 (we are actually at 83). Last comment before I get off my soap box, Bill Bowerman co-founder of Nike has a quote which is used by Nike "If you have a body then you are an Athlete"
  • Former Member
    Shakey, to answer your question... I swim because I love swimming and I am at a fitness level beyond that of the water aerobic classess. BUT, just because it isn't aerobic for me doesn't mean its not for someone else, and that they don't benefit from it in some way (even if YOU don't/can't/won't see the benefit for yourself). It is their right to chose whatever form of exercise they wish, and 'we' shouldn't look down on them as somehow less deserving or inferior. You get out, what you put in, and if someone doesn't put in much, it isn't 'water aerobics' fault it is the person who is at fault. Rather than condeming water aerobics as an ineffective exercise or pseudo sport realize that it is the participants. And yes, I would have problems with folks who are fooling themselves by floating around during class. But how do you know, how can you really be sure they are capable of more? I'm not a doctor, and certainly can't look at someone and tell if they have a hidden medical condition. I am a psychologist, but I can't tell just by looking at someone if they have a mental or emotional handicapping condition that interferes with their full participation. My comment about no talking during the aerobic portion of the class was to demonstrate that there is very little socializing going on during class. I also find labels like blob, manatee, water buffalo, etc. offensive, down right mean and insensitive. Now I will get off my soap box. Lainey
  • Former Member
    Facility standards maybe the issue, you travel around a lot, I would assume (which may be incorrect) that you primarily use 'Y' facilities, and there training standards might be below what I have encountered (both public and private use facilities). SInce we know Shaky has the same view and also uses a Y facility (starting to see a trend). As for fitness crazes - they have always been around (remember seeing the picture of the vibrating belt thing from like the 50's that goes around the waist area and is suppose to vibrate/rub and cause the fat to melt away. The thinking of the generally public is the issue (favorite comic strip of Garfield is where he wolfs down an entire bag of dietetic candy and then says a few more bags of this and I will skinny as a rail). I think it is the lack of movement on peoples part - kids playing video games, watching TV, decline in PE in schools, after school programs, list goes on (everyone has seen/read the stories) nothing new there. Sorry again for the soap box.
  • Former Member
    What my first response said was that we (swimmers) do not get a lot of say as to temp. What I did not say was that I have been a swimmer for most of my life BUT was a water ex teacher for many years as well. I have used water running to alternate with swimming during two pregnancies and have led very strenuous classes (using no equipment) for all ages and fitness levels. I do have respect for this type of exercise if done correctly. That said, in my experience, warm water does nothing for anyone trying to elevate her/his heart rate. My favorite temp for swimming is 70 degrees F - obviously I spend a great deal of time in the lake when it's humanly possible. By the way, as I placed the cold hoses in their lanes this morning, I told my swimmers that even in Florida in the summer the pools are heated, and they seemed to take some solace in that:)