Is your pool too hot !

Former Member
Former Member
My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Matt S, I have modified my workout to cater for the heat. I am drinking lots of water. I am doing loads of drills and "super slow' swimming. Long rest intervals etc. I practice the TI drills but also many from other sources to work on aspects that the TI drills at present do not cover. My problem is that since I was a kid I have beeen unable to cope with hot temperatures. I get heat exhaustion from sitting in the shade on a warm day ! I see this in my oldest son, age 4, he also wilts in the heat rapidly. My other son is like his mum, he can stay outside in the heat for hours. I will get drained from just floating in the water at present. Some of the training sets suggested in other posts here would kill me in this pool. I have gone from breezing through 3,200 to 3,500m workouts to almost nothing at the flick of a dial ! I am hopeful that we can change this, the Age group swim club and my masters club are big users of the pool and carry a lot of influence. It is only for 1 group that they have raised the temp, and they only use it 45mins a week. It seems that we just need management to figure out how the computer works and pool temp will drop for the rest of the week for other uses. I just realised what I said, " i need pool management to figure out how to work a computer ", maybe the situation is totally hopeless!
  • Do they make leotards in those sizes? Are they really for dancing in sizes that, um, are, um, plus? I have come to determine that except for the water classes intended for special needs (arthritis, PT, etc), water aerobics is not much of an exercise routine. I will admit the poor instructor on the pool deck looks fit as she implores her participants to pick up the pace. When "noodling" in a hot pool is considered exercise, it is no wonder that 33% of Americans are obese (or whatever the percentage is these days).
  • Laineybug (I like your handle, BTW): You state there is a social component to bloberizing like a kick set. I can tell you in a tough kick set no one is talking but the noodling crowd never stops talking, never. Next, you state you see folks breathing heavily at the end. That is our point, how in the world can floating on a noodle and talking induce heavy breathing? If that is the case, there is very little exercise component of water aerobics. Then you state noodles are like pull bouys, fins etc. Well, that isn't the case at all. Noodles support your entire body weight and don't do a single bit of isolating other than isolate the person from actually performing exercise. If noodles had any value as a workout toy, you'd see every Masters team in America using them for a set or two. Plus, if you use water toys as a Masters swimmer, you will generally reduce your intervals to compensate for the little boost they give you. I try to be tolerant but can't figure out water aerobics to save my life. I see no point in it and them guys are just plain mean to us lap swimmers to boot! It won't be long before they put cup holders on noodles to complete the package.
  • Former Member
    "Lap swimmers must be working a LOT harder than the manatees." In our neck of the woods, they are called "water buffalo." I've also heard "shamu" used. -LBJ
  • Former Member
    our indoor pool is kept at 80... yes the little ole ladies complained... but one of them started something that has caught on and must work... they wear dance leotards under their suit... I guess it works like a wet suit... maybe you all should make friends with one of the aerobics group and when she complains about the temp of the water suggest the dance leotards.
  • Shaky makes the points I was afraid to. Political correctness (and the fear of having your post deleted) dictates we accept this as some sort of sport and legitimize it by calling it aerobics. You go to even a beginner low impact land aerobic class and you will see some people sweating. Anyway, I grew up at a pool basically and never until the 90s saw this water noodling epidemic. The older men and women I saw in the pool growing up swam laps, played tennis, jogged, etc. There was never any sort of floating. As a matter of fact, my pool prohibited water flotation devices. I will consider using a noodle when I swim - on the days I don't care to work out hard. Pools are for swimming, the ocean for floating, unless you are a crazy open water swimmer.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Leonard Jansen I've heard the "water buffalo" tag used as well. Seems appropriate as the aerobes do seem to travel in herds, and of course there is also the matter of size. :-)
  • Former Member
    ok...I just have to speak out. Back after a 10 year leave...only to return and find these giant blobby cellulite things in suits, just barely moving in the deep end of the pool. What is this? These people need to get their tails really movin--as most are an understated 100 pounds heavy! Some days I don't know if they're dead or alive...honestly, the entire scene makes me want to hurl. And, it never fails that one of the fittest swimmers is in the pool--a guy who does the Ironman every year--and they make him move for the sake of The Blobs. In my opinion, water classes are an insult to fitness. And also an insult to anyone who sees a participant, as it could nearly make one's eyes fall out (and not in a good way, if you know what I mean). And the worst part is that The Blobs have their own pool--this things is like 90 degrees or higher! Yet, they insist on coming to the lap pool...I try to be patient, but Oh Lord, this is a tough one. And, if I have to hear "When Doves Cry" from that crappy little boom box just one more time...!
  • Former Member
    Ok, so if I saw one of The Blobs in a leotard, it might not even be funny. You know when something should be funny, but yet it is so sad, that there is no humor in it? This leotard thing could be a great business idea though--"Water Leotards, Made Just for you" In other words, size 60. ;) Jerrycat
  • Former Member
    I'll not try to respond to every point you and Shakey have brought up (if for no reason other than you keep making them over and over again, so there is no point to trying respond unless I am up for a "did not"/"did too" contest). Let me just try to point out the self-serving circularity of your last post. You assert that most of the people in water aerobics do not have a medical condition; therefore, they should do some "real" exercise, and presumably get out of your pool. The remainder of people do have a medical condition, and you approve of their using a pool. BUT (here's the hook), their condition should be severe enough that they require immediate medical supervision while they are exercising. Let me guess, your pool does not offer medical supervision during lap/open swim. So, these folks should also get out of your pool. Pretty darn convenient if you are a lap swimmer. Your posts on this issue are tiresome; indeed, any further carping about water temperature or water aerobics classes is tiresome. (We only recycle this issue about once every month and a half, with the usual suspects leading the charge.) I am outta here. Matt