Is your pool too hot !

Former Member
Former Member
My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    snip>And, it never fails that one of the fittest swimmers is in the pool--a guy who does the Ironman every year--and they make him move for the sake of The Blobs. In my opinion, water classes are an insult to fitness. And also an insult to anyone who sees a participant, as it could nearly make one's eyes fall out (and not in a good way, if you know what I mean). Why are we taking the p*ss out of others on this forum? I totally understand the frustration regarding the relationship between overly heated pools and aqua fitness people- but do we have to resort to name calling? I'm somewhat chubby and I quite frankly I resent the use of the term, 'blob,' when refering to those who are overweight. Again, I totally agree with what has been said about the 'no pain, no gain,' theories; I've done many types of training from boxing (proper boxing, not that cardio rubbish) to training for triathlons, and the only way to get fit is to train hard (and I mean HARD)... but sometimes you just have to worry about your own training and less about others... SO, what WAS this thread about, anyway?? ;) peace...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    snip>And, it never fails that one of the fittest swimmers is in the pool--a guy who does the Ironman every year--and they make him move for the sake of The Blobs. In my opinion, water classes are an insult to fitness. And also an insult to anyone who sees a participant, as it could nearly make one's eyes fall out (and not in a good way, if you know what I mean). Why are we taking the p*ss out of others on this forum? I totally understand the frustration regarding the relationship between overly heated pools and aqua fitness people- but do we have to resort to name calling? I'm somewhat chubby and I quite frankly I resent the use of the term, 'blob,' when refering to those who are overweight. Again, I totally agree with what has been said about the 'no pain, no gain,' theories; I've done many types of training from boxing (proper boxing, not that cardio rubbish) to training for triathlons, and the only way to get fit is to train hard (and I mean HARD)... but sometimes you just have to worry about your own training and less about others... SO, what WAS this thread about, anyway?? ;) peace...
Children
No Data