Celiac Diet

Former Member
Former Member
I have Celiac and am having a real problem finding some diet that has some taste to it and will give me some energy. The problem I have is I think I am getting board with the food and end up eating to much junk, thus feeling like I have a real shortage of energy when I swim. With the new season now upon us I don't want to start crashing at the meets. Is there any other Celiacs out there that have found some good diet and maybe some supplements that we can take. Maybe if there is enough of us out there we could put all our heads together and come up with a good and tasty diet. Thanks Glen
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    My current diet is one of the best I've been on. I stopped eating rice a month ago, the last grain I was eating. Currently I cook 1/2 a pressure cooker full of chopped carrots and broccoli every morning, then eat this through the day, plus in the morning and evening plenty of chopped apples. Most days this is all that I eat. I might eat 10 or so apples in a day, and my digestion's in about the best condition it's been in.
  • Hi Glen, I have celiac too. My diet has plenty of taste. What is your current diet and why is it so bland? When I first went on the celiac diet I would say that I did have the feeling of not being full but that soon passed. I get the majority of my carbs from rice, potatoes and then quinoa. Supplementing vitamin D3 would probably be a good idea. Vitamin B12 can't hurt either. If you don't like to cook... Amy's frozen meals are pretty good... www.amys.com/.../entrees
  • I'm presuming a lot has changed since 14 years ago when this thread was started. :)
  • My current diet is one of the best I've been on. I stopped eating rice a month ago, the last grain I was eating. Currently I cook 1/2 a pressure cooker full of chopped carrots and broccoli every morning, then eat this through the day, plus in the morning and evening plenty of chopped apples. Most days this is all that I eat. I might eat 10 or so apples in a day, and my digestion's in about the best condition it's been in. If you're eating steamed veggies with nothing else on it... that is pretty bland... you could always try adding some bragg liquid aminos.... www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1_a_it
  • I've changed my diet to the following the last few weeks and it's helping me to get leaner. mornings before swimming ~ 1 or 2 quarts of carrot juice afternoons after swimming ~ 5 or 6 peeled & chopped red delicious apples evenings ~ large chopped salad usually consisting of 2 large cucumbers 2 large summer squash nopales paddles sometimes with ginger root or an apple I'm amazed you have enough calories to sustain yourself through your day simply eating vegetables and apples. Are you a very tiny person? How much swimming are you doing? Do you have a very sedentary daytime career? I'm a 115 lb. older female and I consume more than triple the calories you have listed above. I'm totally amazed. I'm glad your digestive system is doing well but truthfully you're not eating anything that takes much to digest.
  • Former Member
    I've changed my diet to the following the last few weeks and it's helping me to get leaner. mornings before swimming ~ 1 or 2 quarts of carrot juice afternoons after swimming ~ 5 or 6 peeled & chopped red delicious apples evenings ~ large chopped salad usually consisting of 2 large cucumbers 2 large summer squash nopales paddles sometimes with ginger root or an apple
  • Former Member
    Have you heard of the FODMAP diet? Ii tried it because I have had a colectomy. It was designed for Celiac sufferers. I thought it was too restrictive and there were foods that were forbidden that I could eat and foods I can't eat that were okay. Recently I read an article that said the diet help only a few Celiac sufferers and might be that those helped were the esception and not the rule.. It might be that the helps some and might be worth a try. It was developed in Australia despite its Sandinavian sounding name. The "o" has an umlot above it. Therre are three things that were very positive about the diet- no onion family, no gluten, and only lactaid but it bothers me so I went back to no mild. Oddly I canat regular ice cream but not Lactaid ice cream.. There are some things the diet also forbids that are hard to stop but many things I don't eat because they hurt with digestion. Sonnect up with a dietian who knows about the diet. Most likely yuo will have to go to a university teaching hospital.
  • Former Member
    All the apple pectin was bloating my digestive system, so I've replaced them with bananas. I started swimming in April, and am doing 15,000 yards a week in 6 sessions.
  • Former Member
    I'm back on the apples, but don't eat them before swimming, also bananas, dates, and any other fruit that I like. I usually eat only bananas before swimming, or else have nothing but water. I've not been juicing the carrots very much. In the afternoons and evenings I have plenty of vegetables, broccoli, zucchini and mixed vegetables. Then if I get hungry after that I have more bananas, apples and dates, again with plenty of water. People think that I'm eating all the time, and it seems that way, except that I don't usually eat before exercise. I went back on the rice and grains for awhile, but didn't feel as good and my times got slower, so I got off the grains, back to just fruit and veggies and am doing quite well again. Grains aren't really a food and are more akin to tree bark, i.e. just cellulose, so I don't consider them to be a good food. Greens are very good though. My favorite most healthy food is probably green drinks, with only swiss chard. I like fresh ginger root too. Being healthy and exercising are important to me, and therefore I eat healthy. Anyone who eats a bunch of junk is not healthy, even though it's easy to type nonsense on computer.
  • Former Member
    I'm back on the apples, but don't eat them before swimming, also bananas, dates, and any other fruit that I like. I usually eat only bananas before swimming, or else have nothing but water. I've not been juicing the carrots very much. In the afternoons and evenings I have plenty of vegetables, broccoli, zucchini and mixed vegetables. Then if I get hungry after that I have more bananas, apples and dates, again with plenty of water. People think that I'm eating all the time, and it seems that way, except that I don't usually eat before exercise. I went back on the rice and grains for awhile, but didn't feel as good and my times got slower, so I got off the grains, back to just fruit and veggies and am doing quite well again. Grains aren't really a food and are more akin to tree bark, i.e. just cellulose, so I don't consider them to be a good food. Greens are very good though. My favorite most healthy food is probably green drinks, with only swiss chard. I like fresh ginger root too. Being healthy and exercising are important to me, and therefore I eat healthy. Anyone who eats a bunch of junk is not healthy, even though it's easy to type nonsense on computer. Apples and broccoli are two of the worst things to eat if you have Celiac. Cauliflower is next in line. All three produce gas. Although I am not supposed to eat plain cheap white bread, I have found that it doesn't bother me. Any whole grain about kills me. Peaches adn nectarines are also no-nos. I fyu have Celiac do google FODMAP. I don't follow it completely but i have found it is a great guide. There are some cookbooks that have recipes for the diet. I don't see where anyone has typed about eating junk.