Forums are back, spread the word

When the forums went down there was no word about it on the USMS main page. They are back and they are similarly not announced. Since you can't go to the forums to find why they are down when they are down, I request USMS post that on the homepage and also post when they are up and running.
  • You didn't get the email yesterday? Here is what I received (from USMS): _______________________ This past week we experienced technical issues with the server that hosts the USMS Discussion Forums, that shut down access. Over the past few days our development team worked diligently to pull backup files into a new server environment. You are now once again able to access, view and post in the forums. Our new server environment should prevent these types of technical issues from happening again. Please note: Although posting of documents is working the upload and posting of image files may be problematic. Previously uploaded files and images may no longer appear. We are working to retrieve the previous files and images as well as finding a solution to the uploading of images. We appreciate those who reported the issue and for your patience as we worked to get the forums working. Please contact Volunteer Services if youâ€Tmre experiencing functionality that is not working as intended. Your Friends in USMS Volunteer Services volunteer@usmastersswimming.org | 941-256-USMS (8767)
  • Wow. I only got one reply when I repeatedly asked what was up and it was a canned answer that referred to me twice as "Jack" even though my name was clearly on the initial email I sent. I must not have enough street cred to be "in the know."
  • I don't blame anyone for the site going down. I do think it should have had an explanation posted on the homepage.
  • I'm 71so maybe I'm not who USMS is tryingto please any more, but USMS is making me feel left out. This forum attracts people from all over the world and practically all ages. It has been the best way to get interactive information about swimming. Where else can someone post a video of their strokes and get free expert feedback? I don't go on Facebook for practical reasons and because I disapprove of their policies. I just found out USMS has an Instagram site, and I have now been on Instagram once. Why was the celebration of the cancelled Nationals done on Instagram instead of here, or at least announced here. If we are supposed to use Instagram, why isn't that prominent on the Homepage? After all that, my biggest complaint is that the"discussion forums" link is way down at the bottom of the homepage. "Back in the day" the link was at the top of the page. When it was at the top of the page it was much more used. Forums seem to me to be a cheap, effective marketing tool, but maybe that is just due to my ignorance. I love USMS, but I'm beginning to feel it is unrequited.
  • I'm 71so maybe I'm not who USMS is tryingto please any more, but USMS is making me feel left out. This forum attracts people from all over the world and practically all ages. It has been the best way to get interactive information about swimming. Where else can someone post a video of their strokes and get free expert feedback? I don't go on Facebook for practical reasons and because I disapprove of their policies. I just found out USMS has an Instagram site, and I have now been on Instagram once. Why was the celebration of the cancelled Nationals done on Instagram instead of here, or at least announced here. If we are supposed to use Instagram, why isn't that prominent on the Homepage? After all that, my biggest complaint is that the"discussion forums" link is way down at the bottom of the homepage. "Back in the day" the link was at the top of the page. When it was at the top of the page it was much more used. Forums seem to me to be a cheap, effective marketing tool, but maybe that is just due to my ignorance. I love USMS, but I'm beginning to feel it is unrequited. I'm half your age and feel exactly the same way.
  • I totally agree with you both about the forums. I've found that ever since Rob Butcher, Tracy Grilli, and Jim Matysek left the National office things have gone down hill...
  • I just assumed that everyone had quit. Iâ€Tmve always considered myself to be too legit to quit.
  • I never received that e-mail, either. Allen, pwb, and mpmartin: I completely agree with you!
  • I just want to know what level of 'frequent flyer' status Tim has that the rest of us don't so that USMS reached out to him and not the rest of us :bighug::angel:. Honestly, this lack of support for the Forums continues to be my only, but a BIG frustration with USMS. It's not like all of these great discussions have migrated over to another platform like Facebook ... they've disappeared and taken away a huge forum (pardon the pun) for member engagement and member value. I just don't understand why USMS leadership ... especially in this time ... doesn't want to be actively marketing this great way for their members to stay engaged, stay connected. I can't imagine keeping the forums going costs a lot of money. And, judging by the low volume of output by USMS and low member engagement on either the USMS Instagram account or Facebook page, I hypothesize two things: 1) Member engagement on the Forums is not that far behind those two big platforms ... even with the Forums effectively hidden 2) USMS doesn't actually have either a social media or a member engagement strategy Where's the headscratching emoticon when I need it?:confused:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I just assumed that everyone had quit.