Forums are back, spread the word

When the forums went down there was no word about it on the USMS main page. They are back and they are similarly not announced. Since you can't go to the forums to find why they are down when they are down, I request USMS post that on the homepage and also post when they are up and running.
  • I was thinking about the statement that an announcement about the Forums on the home page would be irrelevant to most USMS members. True I guess as things stand now, although it would be important to some of the most loyal USMS members. Additionally, it might perk up interest among other members. As it stands now, the Forums are practically a well kept secret. They aren't listed under "About USMS" and they should be. They certainly could have been listed as a resource for support groups about covid19. PLEASE at least put a link at the top of the Homepage. If people can't find the forums how can they use them.
  • First off, Dawson, thanks for chiming in. It is appreciated. ... As I have noted previously in communications from the national office, forums usage beyond USMS Committees is in the hundreds, less than 1% of USMS total membership...I'm a data guy, so I appreciate this, but I'd ask you to consider cause and effect. Even in the Forums heyday, they weren't actively promoted by USMS, though they did at least have prominence on the website. As you transition to the new online community, I'd really encourage you to put some marketing muscle behind that and see if you can increase engagement. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and pretty much the rest of the social media space is not a good place for discussion and engagement around topics, around issues, around questions. The beauty of the USMS Forums is that you know when you're coming here, it is a targeted community of people who love swimming, are trying to get better at swimming and want to discuss swimming. Plus, the multi-way interaction amongst people creates real dialogue and real community. It's pretty damn unique in the swimming world. Even a site like SwimSwam, which I love, doesn't truly offer 'dialogue.' USMS has that already ... but I think you're undermarketing it and, hence, members are getting less value from USMS because you're not promoting it. ...That said, we are mere months away from transitioning the forums to a new platform - the USMS online community, fully integrated with our membership and email systems with single sign on login, using the same email and password that is used to login to My USMS. I am really looking forward to seeing this ... and the prominence with which you'll promote this on the home page :agree: Patrick W. Brundage (now living in Canada, but still a USMS member)
  • (Is this a bad time to confess that I am not a USMS member?) No, but just join.
  • The forums were never widely used for a number of reasons. One of which was that there was a self selected group that bullied and ganged up on others and drove away newbies. They know who they are and were. Let's hope the transition also clears out the problems.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    (Is this a bad time to confess that I am not a USMS member?)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    No, but just join. I'm a member of the equivalent organization in BC/Canada. For a moment there I was worried that only USMS members can post here, and I somehow slipped through the cracks. :) I have learned so much from this awesome forum.
  • I guess I'm a 1%-er huh? I really enjoy the forums and wish they were as hearty as they were a few years ago. There's so much to be learned here. I do hope that the new forums, or whatever medium is used, can be promoted more. This pandemic and lockdown has people going more online than ever so maybe there will be a migration back to forums like this?
  • Oh man, I hope they promote the new version. I really was excited to meet a few of you at the Senior Games last year, finally putting an actual face to the names behind the usernames. You all have been such a great source of knowledge and encouragement as I got back into the sport now almost 7 years ago. I enjoyed meeting YOU at the Senior Games, Fly'! That's the nice thing about the forums; you have opportunities to meet other Forumites in person and see them again at future meets! I will never forget meeting some of the Forumites at my first USMS Nationals (Atlanta, 2010). That is where I met King Frog (Allen Stark), and we have been friends ever since! This is basically the only social networking I do. I'm on Facebook under a nickname, and I only on the site because it is the primary form of up-to-date communication for Georgia Masters. Otherwise, I only follow USMS, National Senior Games, and Swimspire. I let my family and friends know they shouldn't take it personally if I won't "friend" them or accept their "friend" request.
  • The forums were never widely used for a number of reasons. One of which was that there was a self selected group that bullied and ganged up on others and drove away newbies. They know who they are and were. Let's hope the transition also clears out the problems. I agree. Sometimes a group of people take over with their strongly stated opinions to force ideas on others that might be looking for info from people in the swimming arena.
  • I guess I'm a 1%-er huh? Guess I"m in the same boat. I didn't think there were that many here.