Buzzing noise with swim cap on

Former Member
Former Member
I asked my 11 year old to start wearing a swim cap because his hair started to change color and feels like straw. He tried it today, but said it bothered him because he would hear a loud buzzing noise every time the crowd cheered. Does this happen? And if so, is there a way to prevent it?
  • I would think your son wouldn't hear that sound if he didn't pull the cap all the way down over his ears, leaving a gap for air and water to enter his ears (cover about 2/3 of the ear with the cap). I had a traumatic experience with a cap when I was 6 and haven't worn a cap in practice or competition since then, but did wear a gag gift cap for a day that one of my age groupers got me last year. I left a sizable gap over my ears and didn't have any problems with sound, but man, I felt very out of place wearing it after 20+ years of not wearing one!
  • I guess the buzzing noise is probably water inside the cap resonating because of the loud noises from the crowd. If it's a latex cap, switch to a silicone cap...maybe that'll prevent it somehow (or vice versa). Also, I don't think a cap itself will do much to prevent the problem with his hair color changing. There are other things you can do...like saturating the hair with conditioner before he puts the cap on, and gets in the water. If he stays with competitive swimming...eventually he will want to wear the cap. Unless he keeps his hair short enough that it isn't really needed. Dan
  • part of why i look like a complete goof and do NOT put the cap over my ears. i dont like the water pressure and sound and feeling of the cap over my ears. they could try ear plugs AND then the cap over their ears.
  • I asked my 11 year old to start wearing a swim cap because his hair started to change color and feels like straw. i had a flashback and laugh at this. summer of '83 i swam at mvn. my hair (yes i had it back then) turned platinum white and yes felt like straw. tends to happen with 5+ hours in the pool a day. i flew home and mom was waiting for me at the gate. i walked right past her. she didnt even recognize me. then i turned around and said MOM total racoon eyes and platinum blonde/white hair ahhhh the good ol' days .... when 9000lcm was a short morning workout and yet you cringed what the afternoon one would be