Buzzing noise with swim cap on

Former Member
Former Member
I asked my 11 year old to start wearing a swim cap because his hair started to change color and feels like straw. He tried it today, but said it bothered him because he would hear a loud buzzing noise every time the crowd cheered. Does this happen? And if so, is there a way to prevent it?
Parents
  • I would think your son wouldn't hear that sound if he didn't pull the cap all the way down over his ears, leaving a gap for air and water to enter his ears (cover about 2/3 of the ear with the cap). I had a traumatic experience with a cap when I was 6 and haven't worn a cap in practice or competition since then, but did wear a gag gift cap for a day that one of my age groupers got me last year. I left a sizable gap over my ears and didn't have any problems with sound, but man, I felt very out of place wearing it after 20+ years of not wearing one!
  • I would think your son wouldn't hear that sound if he didn't pull the cap all the way down over his ears, leaving a gap for air and water to enter his ears (cover about 2/3 of the ear with the cap). I had a traumatic experience with a cap when I was 6 and haven't worn a cap in practice or competition since then, but did wear a gag gift cap for a day that one of my age groupers got me last year. I left a sizable gap over my ears and didn't have any problems with sound, but man, I felt very out of place wearing it after 20+ years of not wearing one!
Children
No Data