Polar Vortex Workout Casualties?

My local Community Center is closing tomorrow for the first time in its history due to projected ACTUAL temperatures of -25F and wind chills near -50F. While I appreciate their concern for there staff and clients, it falls smack dab in the middle of my weekly workout retinue. Was just wondering how many others were dealt a blow by this 2019 Polar Vortex? Sleeping in? :bed:
  • It is true ---- wait a while and the weather will change around Chicagoland! Fri -today back up to 19. Sat +40 Sun +48 mon +50 and rain!
  • We're getting our comeuppance now. My pool was closed yesterday due to snow (we don't get much in Seattle). Today when I left for work it was around 20 degrees. Not exactly what the Midwest was dealing with last week, but that's very cold for here. Sounds like it might not get much above freezing all this week. Haven't heard yet whether the pool will be open today.
  • Round two supposed to come in tomorrow. Knowing Seattle's proclivity to close up shop at the first snowflake sighting I'm definitely going to swim tonight!
  • I know someone is going to mail something nasty and ticking to me for this comment, but, my local pools (all outdoors) were closed for about 12 days in the month of January because the guards are to wimpy to open the pools if the air temp is under 55 degrees. Water temps were still around 84. What can I say, I survived Florida Winter and we are now in the 80s again.
  • Still no snow in Boise... And unlike in Kirk's neck of the woods, we need more than a few inches of the white stuff to get a snow day.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I know someone is going to mail something nasty and ticking to me for this comment, but, my local pools (all outdoors) were closed for about 12 days in the month of January because the guards are to wimpy to open the pools if the air temp is under 55 degrees. Water temps were still around 84. What can I say, I survived Florida Winter and we are now in the 80s again. WTF? 3 years ago, my university pool still opened as normal in air temp 41, water temp 55!! 11837
  • We had a weird circumstance this past week (for Illinois in February, anyway)... a storm cell came through with pebble sized hail that lasted about ten minutes. Right smack in the middle was one very large boom of thunder... and the Community Center closed the indoor pool for 30 minutes! Ha!
  • Yes, that's a whole new level of wimpy. Didn't the swimmers protest?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I feel for the FL guards - it can get a bit chilly sitting on top of a very tall chair in 50F, especially if it's not what you're used to. By comparison, up here, the accepted wisdom is that you can swim in the ocean as long as it's above 55F. (Ie the risk of quick and efficient hypothermia is significantly reduced by then). Different strokes?
  • We've continued to have pool casualties due to snow in Seattle. Annoyingly, on the days the pools have actually been open, Seattle Parks has chosen to use a "snow schedule" with the pools being open only from 11 am to 3 pm. Not exactly convenient for those of us who work a standard schedule! I really don't understand why they can't have at least a couple pools open in the evenings.