Massive rotator cuff tear

Unfortunately my MRI results show a MASSIVE ROTATOR CUFF TEAR which includes supraspinatus and infraspinatus which is not repairable. Anyone else out there still swimming without a rotator cuff in one shoulder? Or should I go for a reconstruction using part of my pec or lat or thigh tendon. I am 65 and devastated.
  • I am so sorry to hear that. Have you gotten a second opinion. Rotator cuff tears are evidently common in swimming(I am still in a sling typing this one handed from my rotator cuff surgery) but I haven't known anyone with a massive tear. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • Have you investigated the reconstruction you mentioned, any further?
  • Thank you and cheers to you for a speedy and complete recovery.
  • Unfortunately my MRI results show a MASSIVE ROTATOR CUFF TEAR which includes supraspinatus and infraspinatus which is not repairable. Anyone else out there still swimming without a rotator cuff in one shoulder? Or should I go for a reconstruction using part of my pec or lat or thigh tendon. I am 65 and devastated. You need to see a surgeon who is not only tops in the field but also is used by the top athletes in swimming. There are ones at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York and at the Mayo Clinic. I can get the name of one at the HSS from a friend of mine who had very successful shoulder surgery there and has returned to championship form. I would get an opinion from them before getting an artificial joint. However if you do need shoulder replacement it is not the end of swimming. I have a close friend who has had both replaced and just completed a 5,000 yd charity swim. Best of luck
  • Yes, I understand that grafts can be used to connect shoulder bone to arm bone in place of a supraspinatus in order to keep the arm bone down so it doesn't keep impinging. Grafts can also be used for infraspinatus. Now looking for surgeons. First surgeon who said shoulder replacement (after realizing swimmers cannot do replacements) says "after looking at MRI again" He can repair infraspinatus and graft supraspinatus. Going back to this surgeon for more details. Thanks for asking. In the meanwhile, not doing much swimming as don't want to make things worse, and working on strengthening rear delts. Read that rear delt strength can sometimes help keep arm bone down.
  • OK update to my massive rotator cuff tear of the infraspinatus and supraspinatus that are completely torn off the bone and completely retracted I guess 3 and 4 cm. I’ve seen six surgeons all of who were referred to me and three say don’t do anything until the pain and mobility is so bad that I need surgery or reverse shoulder replacement and three say I need surgery and if they can repair the infraspinatus a little bit they can add a cadaver graft to the top to pose as a supraspinatus to keep the humerus bone down as it is hitting the joint popping all the time. The humerus bone is already elevated so there is not much space between the bone and the acromion. Part of the surgery would be to clean it up and move the biceps tendon to the humerus. The rotator cuff is what protects the biceps tendon and probably the aching I always felt in the front of my arm was rotator cuff and not just bicep tendon. The reason for these tears is probably impingement syndrome caused by poor on land body position, forward head position and bad stroke mechanics. Three surgeons say to keep swimming as long as I can although I have very little External rotation due to the lost infraspintas. I am now looking into ways to correct the humerus bone being so elevated and correcting my stroke to alleviate the humerus bone from hitting the joint. I did one physical therapy session after the incident that tore the last part of my infraspinatus (which was scapular retractions) and therapist said that I will not be able to gain strength in the middle of my back until I can get the middle of my back released as it is locked up tight. Probably due to bad body posture. My pec muscles and all front muscles are also very tight.
  • Yes please, I would like a name of a surgeon who works on swimmers regularly. Mine is the degenerative impingement. I just posted to the whole post below not sure how this all works and how to receive notifications that new messages have been posted.