Massive rotator cuff tear

Unfortunately my MRI results show a MASSIVE ROTATOR CUFF TEAR which includes supraspinatus and infraspinatus which is not repairable. Anyone else out there still swimming without a rotator cuff in one shoulder? Or should I go for a reconstruction using part of my pec or lat or thigh tendon. I am 65 and devastated.
Parents
  • Unfortunately my MRI results show a MASSIVE ROTATOR CUFF TEAR which includes supraspinatus and infraspinatus which is not repairable. Anyone else out there still swimming without a rotator cuff in one shoulder? Or should I go for a reconstruction using part of my pec or lat or thigh tendon. I am 65 and devastated. You need to see a surgeon who is not only tops in the field but also is used by the top athletes in swimming. There are ones at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York and at the Mayo Clinic. I can get the name of one at the HSS from a friend of mine who had very successful shoulder surgery there and has returned to championship form. I would get an opinion from them before getting an artificial joint. However if you do need shoulder replacement it is not the end of swimming. I have a close friend who has had both replaced and just completed a 5,000 yd charity swim. Best of luck
  • Unfortunately my MRI results show a MASSIVE ROTATOR CUFF TEAR which includes supraspinatus and infraspinatus which is not repairable. Anyone else out there still swimming without a rotator cuff in one shoulder? Or should I go for a reconstruction using part of my pec or lat or thigh tendon. I am 65 and devastated. You need to see a surgeon who is not only tops in the field but also is used by the top athletes in swimming. There are ones at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York and at the Mayo Clinic. I can get the name of one at the HSS from a friend of mine who had very successful shoulder surgery there and has returned to championship form. I would get an opinion from them before getting an artificial joint. However if you do need shoulder replacement it is not the end of swimming. I have a close friend who has had both replaced and just completed a 5,000 yd charity swim. Best of luck
Children
No Data