Women's Tech Suits - open back vs. closed back

Any opinions on closed back tech suits out there? I've worn a few different open back speedos and tried on a few other brands. I know my size and prefer the speedo, and am thinking about trying a speedo closed back. Anyone try it and hate it (or love it)? Would it be the same size as the open back? (the size chart is the same). Any thoughts are appreciated!
  • I have a speedo lzr elite with a closed back and I really like it. 'Got the same size as the open back. But it you are going to get the lzr X beware: its really really hard to get into a closed back because you have to get that much smaller closed back part over much larger hips and thighs. In a lzr x there is no horizontal stretch at all, making that almost impossible. It's so difficult, you'll get all sweaty and panicky trying to get it on. It will actually make you tired. 'Not worth adding that kind of stress to a championship meet in my opinion. If you already feel comfortable putting on a lzr x on, then go for closed back, but if you are not used to the lzr x, I recommend the open back, or try a closed back in the lzr racer elite. I notice a lot of flyers tend to choose closed back. I think it may help the back muscles used in fly. I imagine if you could get it on, the closed back lzr x would feel great.
  • Betty, Thank you! That is so helpful! It is the Elite 2 closed back I'm looking at and not the x. I'm a flyer and breaststroker with a long torso and always felt like water was going in through the back, so I'd like to try it. My swimmers who have tried the x right when it came out didn't like it so I haven't tried that one yet. Did the Elite closed back take a lot longer to get on than the open? There really is "suit fatigue" and you are right, it's not worth the expended energy. Thanks again!
  • I don't think the elite closed back would take much longer than the open to get on. But it was my first suit I ever bought and wore new, so I can't say for sure. Previously, I wore only used suits (open back) passed down to me from my daughter. Those were really easy to get on because of their age. My closed back new might have taken 15-20 minutes to get on? (not sure) Now I can get it on in about 3 minutes, except for needing help with the straps. The first time I wore my suit, I was a little anxious about the extra time to put it on, but it was nothing compared to other women in the locker room struggling with their lzr x. Speedo has a great return policy. 90 days if you don't cut the tags. Order one and try it on, and time yourself. Order two sizes for that matter.
  • I find the closed backs actually easier to get on.... My backside doesn't get stuck in the open back part of the suit, and I don't really worry about ripping it as much. The key is not letting it bunch up- keep it as spread out as possible. The second it bunches up and rolls, it's such a pain to put on. The Speedo LZR elite and TYR Avictor Prelude closed back fit me best- long legs, short torso. Dolfin and Arena are too baggy in the torso, and gape in the water. I slightly prefer the Speedo, the comfort straps are actually pretty comfortable.