Historical NCAA Complete Results

Former Member
Former Member
Hi– I work as a student photographer for Vol Photos as well as a manager for Tennessee Swimming. Currently, I am working on our archives, which are immense. In doing so, I am also trying to complete our NCAA Results. Unfortunately, NCAA does not keep archives of the results or they will not release them. I am not sure where else to post this but basically I am looking for NCAA Championship results from every year prior to ~2005. If any of you know of any way/any place I could find these, that would be great. I am working to create a progression of NCAA records over the years as no such list exists.
  • I am not sure where else to post this but basically I am looking for NCAA Championship results from every year prior to ~2005. If any of you know of any way/any place I could find these, that would be great. I am working to create a progression of NCAA records over the years as no such list exists.Not sure if this idea will work, but try having your Tennessee coaches reach out directly to Jack Bauerle at Georgia and Eddie Reese at Texas. If anyone's going to have paper copies of past results, it's one of those guys as they've been coaching for 35-40 years.
  • Swimming world magazine has archived all of their publications going back to 1960. For a subscription fee you can access all the archives and I believe each year they had a NCAA edition with all the results. good place to at least start your search
  • Hi– I work as a student photographer for Vol Photos as well as a manager for Tennessee Swimming. Currently, I am working on our archives, which are immense. In doing so, I am also trying to complete our NCAA Results. Unfortunately, NCAA does not keep archives of the results or they will not release them. I am not sure where else to post this but basically I am looking for NCAA Championship results from every year prior to ~2005. If any of you know of any way/any place I could find these, that would be great. I am working to create a progression of NCAA records over the years as no such list exists. Please see Thompson, Frank (Skip) :) Just kidding. Skip is our resident expert and can probably cite many of the records off the top of his head. You might try ISHOF. They probably have a progression of the American Records. So if you look up the SCY records, assuming they have dates of performance (and perhaps even location), you may be able to reconcile many of them as done at the NCAA Championships or not. That won't get you fully what you need, though, as there are many circumstances where the American record was not necessarily the winner (e.g. beaten by a foreign swimmer). That's where you'll need somebody like Skip if he remembers if the American record setting performance was the winner or not. Jeff
  • Gosh, I can find anything past about 2005, but it's really hard to find much older than that as most schools have gone through 3 or 4 iterations of their sports websites by then. You might try the Internet Wayback Machine for schools like Texas or Cal for early 2000s results, don't know if you'll find anything electronic past then or maybe last 90s. This document might help for record progression purposes (fs.ncaa.org/.../D1men14.pdf). You can add "wo" to the appropriate place in the hyperlink for the women's version.
  • Hi Jgolliher: I am Frank Skip Thompson and Swimming World Magazine does have results going back to 1960. Before that the NCAA Swimming Guides have every Championship that has ever been contested even before the NCAA Sanction them as official in 1937. Unfortunately they stop printing them in 1982. I have every issue going back to 1950. The also have all records that were swam during the year (American, US Open, NCAA) they even have all of the Conference Champions and all High School Championships by state for states that reported them. Tennessee became a power in 1969 when they recruited the best sprinter in the country in David Edgar. They followed that up with John Trembley and Andy Coan all of these swimmers were NCAA and American Records. Tennessee won the 1978 NCAA Championship and swimmers that I can think of right now that swam for them are Lee Estrand, Matt Vogel, Melvin Stewart, Jeremy Linn, Trip Schwenk, and 1972 Australian Olympian Graham Windeatt who got the silver medal behind Mike Burton went to Tennessee. I have NCAA Swimming Guides every year going back to 1950. If you need some help let me know. My e-mail is VPCommunityServices@usms.org
  • Swimming world magazine has archived all of their publications going back to 1960. For a subscription fee you can access all the archives and I believe each year they had a NCAA edition with all the results. good place to at least start your search Jim is correct, again. How does he do it? You should look for the May issue, usually. www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../2017
  • Hi Skip Do any of your documents have conference results from the 70s? I'd be interested in WAC results that include more than just the winners. Complete results from 1970 thru 1978, or so, would be awesome. Wes