First swim meet, maybe

I just got an email about a meet in the Adirondack LMSC on January 21. I have never done a pool race before and only one open water swim. I've been practicing fast 50s and 100s a couple times a week and I'd like to see how I might do in competition. The problem is, I can't practice diving in to start since the pools where I work out say no diving (except in meets). So how do I get some practice at it. I'm afraid the goggles will pop off as they have the few times that I ever did try it.
  • Can you dive in from the pool deck where you workout? While not the same thing, it's better than nothing. Also most meets will allow you to take some practice starts from the blocks during warm up. Usually there will be dedicated "sprint\start" lanes towards the end of warmups. Tighten up the goggle strap if they pop off. Also you could put a cap over your goggles strap to help secure them. Some people wear cap, goggles, then a second cap.
  • Or maybe if you don't wear a cap, this is the time to start? :)
  • Most pools will not allow unsupervised block starts from a safety stanpoint. Is there a coach or lifeguard who you can ask to work with you for a few minutes? Worst case would be waiting until the warm-up session at the meet. As far as your goggles, make sure you have your head down in a good streamline position as you enter the water. Good luck. I' sure you'll have fun!
  • In addition to block starts and in the water starts, I have also seen swimmers doing deck starts.
  • There will most likely be a warm-up lane devoted to starts for at least part of the warm-up period. On top of whatever other practice you get in before the meet, see how it goes there and make a game day decision. Best of luck, Jack...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    You can do an in the water start if you would be more comfortable. You wont find an in the water start too much of a disadvantage either if this is your first meet. It will ensure your goggles stay on your face properly and its harder to do a false start. I have not been off the blocks for a couple of years now due to a dodgy shoulder and I find I have usually caught up on 90% of other swimmers by the end of the first length. Have a great time! T
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Well, you can swim without the goggles. I did that when I did some masters meets over 12 years ago. I was used to it from doing that in meets as a kid. That is what I going to do at the local senior Olympics. I might also start from the deck since the starting blocks at the pool where the senior Olympics is at is high. I don't wear a cap either since I wear short hair.
  • You can do an in the water start if you would be more comfortable.
  • A tip for you is if you wear a cap then put your goggles on under the cap for your races. That will keep them on better during a dive start.