Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
  • Interestingly this mindset is very apparent in sports like triathlon where having the latest carbon fiber technology can provide the make or break. I also see it in stand up paddle racing, as well as other sports where costly equipment upgrades supposedly provide a performance boost. Don't forget tech suits in swimming, especially the full-body suits before they were banned.
  • Count me among those who actually care about the "three dollar medals" at Nationals. I know. Pathetic, right? No, it's not pathetic. Any medal you earn is a symbol of the hard work you put in to being the best swimmer you can be. It's great to achieve a goal and be reminded of that achievement when you see your medal. Besides, it's a great souvenir to bring home from Nationals! I love my medals from Mission Viejo; they had the best design! 10712
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    +1 A great statement, the only problem I have with the phrase "it's only masters" is that it seems to denigrate those who expend considerable time, emotional and physical energy, and even money on the sport. And of course there are many extremely impressive masters swimmers, and I certainly wouldn't want to disrespect their accomplishments. But I don't think that's the intent of most when they say it, it is just a way to keep some perspective and keep it fun. And yes, introducing drug testing would take some of the fun out of it for me. Others can take it just as seriously as they want, but when they force me to take it just as seriously, it becomes a shade less enjoyable . And I don't gain the "upside" of knowing that my competitors might get caught because I don't really care if they are doping or not. Maybe, "it's only swimming" or "it's only sport" is more to the point.
  • This whole thread has me wondering how much faster I could go if I started a lil doping ....probabaly not much if any since swimming fast has so much to do with the technique one uses
  • Former Member
    Count me among those who actually care about the "three dollar medals" at Nationals. I know. Pathetic, right?
  • probabaly not much if any since swimming fast has so much to do with the technique one uses Amen! Technique is, by far, the most important factor in swimming fast.
  • Former Member
    To some, that is how they "identify." Agreed. It's hard to place a reason behind it, but super competitiveness exists. Maybe having one's ego massaged is the end to the means, and that's why a small percentage may ingest something to gain what they perceive as an edge. Interestingly this mindset is very apparent in sports like triathlon where having the latest carbon fiber technology can provide the make or break. I also see it in stand up paddle racing, as well as other sports where costly equipment upgrades supposedly provide a performance boost. Obviously these are totally acceptable examples of striving for better results, and are a far cry from performance drug use, but the desire to excel shares a similar thought process in certain individuals. Winning is everything. It's a little sad, but true.
  • the management of TUEs would be untenable. New question: If the rules are changed to catch potential dopers, and a committee is willing to handle the TUE paperwork, how does this fit in with a bunch of random volunteers and HIPPA? I am personally an open book. Want to know what I take and why? I will tell you. I believe I am the exception to this, however. There are still some illnesses and reasons for taking medications that carry a stigma, and/or folks are private about their business. If this topic is pursued beyond this thread, privacy issues are a very real concern.
  • Count me among those who actually care about the "three dollar medals" at Nationals. I know. Pathetic, right? I care, too. Was disappointed to have missed one by 0.49 in the 400 free at Geneva. Didn't care enough to have wanted everyone in front of me tested for PED's, however. Because I know that with our demographics, the management of TUEs would be untenable.
  • It is enough for me that people have to live with the guilt of knowing they are cheating.