Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
  • Does anyone at USMS have any interest as to our concerns?
  • How many elites have genuine asthma and have to use inhalers? It must be a disproportionate malady among really great swimmers, because a lot of them seem to have a malady that requires an inhaler. Is this a form of performance enhancement?Albuterol, the most commonly prescribed inhaler, is a "borderline" substance. "Borderline" means you don't need a TUE unless you're a heavy user (more than ~14 puffs a day at the normal dosage-per-puff). In normally prescribed concentrations, it does not enhance an athletes performance. It does prevent performance degradation due to Exercise Induced Bronchoconstriction (commonly, but improperly, called exercise induced asthma) which is a real thing. Certain airborne allergens, including chloramines, can trigger or aggravate EIB. This may be why its so common among swimmers. I sometimes suffer from EIB, especially in "allergy season," so I have a prescription for Albuterol. I typically take two puffs before exercise. If I forget, and there are no triggering allergens, I don't even notice. I can perform at the same peak level. If there are allergens in the air, however, I lose performance and, in some cases, have to abandon my workout all together.
  • It does prevent performance degradation due to Exercise Induced Bronchoconstriction (commonly, but improperly, called exercise induced asthma) which is a real thing. Certain airborne allergens, including chloramines, can trigger or aggravate EIB. This may be why its so common among swimmers.... .... If there are allergens in the air, however, I lose performance and, in some cases, have to abandon my workout all together. I can't correlate it very well with my current setup, but way BITD (1970s), as a student at UCLA, I was a runner. The air quality was so poor at times that taking a deep breath could be painful. I always associated it with air pollution. As I live in the Chicago area now, I have nothing to compare it with. For one, the completely different geography and meteorology (no hills/mountains to trap the crap, fewer temperature inversions) keeps the pollutants from reaching such high concentrations. Also, the pool I swim at now (McGaw YMCA) has an ozone(?)-based system. The difference is like night and day compared to a more traditional chlorine-based system. No more sinus irritation, no constant itchy skin during the winter. I suspect it has a positive effect on the EIB Gary describes (and what I perhaps suffered from in the old days).
  • I think Gary has put it out here for us all. Nice way of describing how many of us feel. Nice to meet you face to face at Nationals.
  • For me, "it's only masters" has resonance. I work hard and try to prepare well, and some would see my commitment as pretty intense, but I only race because I enjoy it and it is a distant third on the list of priorities after family and work. The idea of doping is a compete antithesis to my concept of masters swimming, which for me is not only about fun but about personal achievement. Quite frankly, if someone else wants to put their health at risk, that's their look out, and if I don't win a medal but swim well, it doesn't really matter to me anyway. +1 A great statement, the only problem I have with the phrase "it's only masters" is that it seems to denigrate those who expend considerable time, emotional and physical energy, and even money on the sport. And of course there are many extremely impressive masters swimmers, and I certainly wouldn't want to disrespect their accomplishments. But I don't think that's the intent of most when they say it, it is just a way to keep some perspective and keep it fun. And yes, introducing drug testing would take some of the fun out of it for me. Others can take it just as seriously as they want, but when they force me to take it just as seriously, it becomes a shade less enjoyable . And I don't gain the "upside" of knowing that my competitors might get caught because I don't really care if they are doping or not.
  • I think Gary has put it out here for us all. Nice way of describing how many of us feel. Nice to meet you face to face at Nationals. What? Didn't you just say: "Does anyone at USMS have any interest as to our concerns?" You opinions are all over the place. You seem to be in favor of testing as long as you're personally not tested. I agree with robertsrobson as well. Well stated. My only point above is that to the extent you spend any time on doing any particular thing, it is not "meaningless." Obviously, work and family are way more important than masters swimming. I can say from personal experience, not everyone seems to feel that way. To some, that is how they "identify."
  • For me, "it's only masters" has resonance. I work hard and try to prepare well, and some would see my commitment as pretty intense, but I only race because I enjoy it and it is a distant third on the list of priorities after family and work. The idea of doping is a compete antithesis to my concept of masters swimming, which for me is not only about fun but about personal achievement. Quite frankly, if someone else wants to put their health at risk, that's their look out, and if I don't win a medal but swim well, it doesn't really matter to me anyway. Thanks for saying what I was having trouble expressing. Do I want to swim well at Masters Nationals? Yes, I want to swim as well as I can. But are the results in any way life changing? Not in the slightest. If I medal or win or even set a new Masters World Record, its a nice "Facebook moment" and nothing more. My life the next day is the same as if I had finished DFL. There's no financial compensation for winning. There's no potential scholarship riding on how well I do, nor are there any potential endorsement deals on the line. There's no "next level" meet to try to qualify for. Its a big meet, but it's just a meet. And when its over, its over. I go back to my family and my job and my local group of swim friends (who will congratulate me the same no matter where I finish) and real life goes on.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Hard to believe it's "meaningless" when people are throwing down $500 for Speedo suits and major dollars in travel expenses ... I've seen/experienced plenty of very intense masters swimmers. "It's only masters" is a odd turn of phrase to me. Does life only exist/have meaning when you're young? We're masters and I assume what we choose to spend time doing matters somewhat to us. For me, "it's only masters" has resonance. I work hard and try to prepare well, and some would see my commitment as pretty intense, but I only race because I enjoy it and it is a distant third on the list of priorities after family and work. The idea of doping is a compete antithesis to my concept of masters swimming, which for me is not only about fun but about personal achievement. Quite frankly, if someone else wants to put their health at risk, that's their look out, and if I don't win a medal but swim well, it doesn't really matter to me anyway.
  • I agree with robertsrobson as well. Well stated. My only point above is that to the extent you spend any time on doing any particular thing, it is not "meaningless." I agree, It sure as hell isn't meaningless to me and I wouldn't just shrug off the thought that others are cheating to beat me. The notion of testing at events like USMS Nationals resonates with me, but I do feel like any kind of testing would be off-putting to many masters competitors and I think that's a legitimate concern for an organization that claims to be inclusive.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    This whole thread has me wondering how much faster I could go if I started a lil doping action on the side... Can't get caught anyways..... Always was intrigued by blood doping lol.