snorkel breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I've been using a snorkel for kicking 25y lengths while getting fresh breaths at each end, but run out of air doing 50y lengths continuously, apparently due to breathing the same air, as the breaths keep getting more quick and shallow, not a good situation. One of the comments here is that we breathe about .5 liter of air at rest, compared to a 40 cm tube with 2 cm diameter containing 1 liter of air, thus causing the same air to be breathed with increasing co2, unless we more than double the resting breathing capacity with each breath. I'm usually quite relaxed with my breathing when kicking, so this is a particular issue. Is there a way to overcome the dead space and be able to kick farther comfortably with the snorkel? Perhaps taking super long breaths, or breathing out through the nose between breaths?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I have a fairly strong aerobic system but it took me a few weeks to get used to the reduction in oxygen through the snorkel. I wonder if your brand of snorkel has a smaller tube and opening to the tube which can affect your swimming while using it. That's a really good point. The inside diameter is 5/8" to 3/4" at each end. Perhaps keeping a constant pressure both inhaling and exhaling will be helpful. What issues did you have before getting used to the snorkel, and how did you get used to it?
  • The main issues I had when I started using the snorkel was ensuring I cleared it fully after surfacing from a turn. It becomes second nature after a while, but while you're learning you're bound to take in some water when trying to breathe every so often. The other was keeping the snorkel from flopping around on turns. I think it helps to brace the snorkel against one of your forearms and to be sure to flip straight over to avoid this.
  • That's a really good point. The inside diameter is 5/8" to 3/4" at each end. Perhaps keeping a constant pressure both inhaling and exhaling will be helpful. What issues did you have before getting used to the snorkel, and how did you get used to it? Doing low intensity swimming such as my warm up I had no issues, however on longer higher intensity aerobic sets(60-80% max HR) I had shortness of breath like you describe. After a couple of months of just sticking with the snorkel I seem to have adjusted and it's no longer an issue. As an aside I used a nose clip for about two years due to the challenge of keeping water out of my nose/lungs during turns. Last summer I ditched the nose piece and this has really helped with ensuring I am completely exhaling. It's a double edged sword so to speak with the nose clip from my experience; it really helps with doing flip turns with the snorkel but also feels unnatural with breathing(at least it did to me). Good luck.
  • The main issues I had when I started using the snorkel was ensuring I cleared it fully after surfacing from a turn. It becomes second nature after a while, but while you're learning you're bound to take in some water when trying to breathe every so often. The other was keeping the snorkel from flopping around on turns. I think it helps to brace the snorkel against one of your forearms and to be sure to flip straight over to avoid this. I agree with both of these points. I have found that the MP snorkel is closer to your face and does not move anywhere near as much as the finis snorkel on turns.
  • How is the fit on the MP snorkel? I ask because the one thing I don't like about the Finis is it gets uncomfortable on my forehead after a while. I thought I'd solve the problem by buying a replacement headband, but the new one isn't much better. I really can't use it too long or it will leave a mark on my forehead.I would guess you might like it Kirk. It doesn't leave indentions in the forehead as the Finis does me. No snorkel headaches either. Construction seems beefier too, but the mouth piece seems a bit bulky.
  • My Finis would also flop around on turns until I wrapped some electrical tape around the snorkel securing it to the forehead piece so it couldn't spin. It works much better.
  • I have found that the MP snorkel is closer to your face and does not move anywhere near as much as the finis snorkel on turns.I also have the same performance with the MP Aquasphere snorkel, as well as the greater demand on respiration. I also find it takes a good volume of air to clear it. I still prefer it over the leading finis brand, which is also a good product, especially for learning.
  • How is the fit on the MP snorkel? I ask because the one thing I don't like about the Finis is it gets uncomfortable on my forehead after a while. I thought I'd solve the problem by buying a replacement headband, but the new one isn't much better. I really can't use it too long or it will leave a mark on my forehead.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    The Whale snorkel openings are 5/8" to 3/4" inside diameters at each end. Can someone tell me the Finis snorkel measurements for comparison?
  • How is the fit on the MP snorkel? I ask because the one thing I don't like about the Finis is it gets uncomfortable on my forehead after a while. I thought I'd solve the problem by buying a replacement headband, but the new one isn't much better. I really can't use it too long or it will leave a mark on my forehead. the quality of the MP snorkel is very good. The head band seems cushioned and the strap is solid. Unlike the finis where I continually had to tighten the head band due to the movement on turns, I have not had to adjust the head band since I first put it on. The curved shape and distance from the face of the tube make it very well balanced also. My only issue is the additional aerobic capacity required to breath through it at speed; which, when you really think about it, is probably a good thing also. I agree that the mouth piece is bulky but I got used to it very quickly and since its molded into the tube I have had no leaks. I like the finis snorkel but love the MP snorkel.