snorkel breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I've been using a snorkel for kicking 25y lengths while getting fresh breaths at each end, but run out of air doing 50y lengths continuously, apparently due to breathing the same air, as the breaths keep getting more quick and shallow, not a good situation. One of the comments here is that we breathe about .5 liter of air at rest, compared to a 40 cm tube with 2 cm diameter containing 1 liter of air, thus causing the same air to be breathed with increasing co2, unless we more than double the resting breathing capacity with each breath. I'm usually quite relaxed with my breathing when kicking, so this is a particular issue. Is there a way to overcome the dead space and be able to kick farther comfortably with the snorkel? Perhaps taking super long breaths, or breathing out through the nose between breaths?
Parents
  • The main issues I had when I started using the snorkel was ensuring I cleared it fully after surfacing from a turn. It becomes second nature after a while, but while you're learning you're bound to take in some water when trying to breathe every so often. The other was keeping the snorkel from flopping around on turns. I think it helps to brace the snorkel against one of your forearms and to be sure to flip straight over to avoid this. I agree with both of these points. I have found that the MP snorkel is closer to your face and does not move anywhere near as much as the finis snorkel on turns.
  • The main issues I had when I started using the snorkel was ensuring I cleared it fully after surfacing from a turn. It becomes second nature after a while, but while you're learning you're bound to take in some water when trying to breathe every so often. The other was keeping the snorkel from flopping around on turns. I think it helps to brace the snorkel against one of your forearms and to be sure to flip straight over to avoid this. I agree with both of these points. I have found that the MP snorkel is closer to your face and does not move anywhere near as much as the finis snorkel on turns.
Children
No Data