snorkel breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I've been using a snorkel for kicking 25y lengths while getting fresh breaths at each end, but run out of air doing 50y lengths continuously, apparently due to breathing the same air, as the breaths keep getting more quick and shallow, not a good situation. One of the comments here is that we breathe about .5 liter of air at rest, compared to a 40 cm tube with 2 cm diameter containing 1 liter of air, thus causing the same air to be breathed with increasing co2, unless we more than double the resting breathing capacity with each breath. I'm usually quite relaxed with my breathing when kicking, so this is a particular issue. Is there a way to overcome the dead space and be able to kick farther comfortably with the snorkel? Perhaps taking super long breaths, or breathing out through the nose between breaths?
  • I've been told in the past to inhale through the snorkel and exhale through your nose, but can't say that I could tell any difference. Mark
  • I've been told in the past to inhale through the snorkel and exhale through your nose, but can't say that I could tell any difference. That's what I do and it works for me, but I suspect the most important thing is really practice. There's definitely a learning curve with a snorkel.
  • I doubt very much that the problem you are having is related to "breathing" the same air. The amount of oxygen in "stale" air is plenty to keep going on - think of it as similar to why CPR works. More likely, you are focusing on inhaling as much as possible and not exhaling alot - a fairly common situation. Try focusing on exactly the opposite - exhaling completely and not worrying about inhaling. The reason you want to focus on exhaling is because that gets rid of the carbon dioxide being generated by your body. AND, carbon dioxide build up is what triggers your breathing - not lack of oxygen. By exhaling more forcefully and completely, the amount of CO2 in your lungs will decrease and you will feel less pressure in your chest. And, by exhaling completely, you set your diaphragm muscles up for an easier time when inhaling (along with creating, relatively speaking, a "vacuum" in your lungs. Air just comes in easier. Good Luck....
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Mark & Knelson, how far do you go continuously with the snorkel? I kicked 12x25 yards with the snorkel today, first with long slow breaths, then out normally through the nose. My preference is out through the nose, as this eliminates the dead space, and it sounds very loud in the water.
  • Mark & Knelson, how far do you go continuously with the snorkel? I kicked 12x25 yards with the snorkel today, first with long slow breaths, then out normally through the nose. My preference is out through the nose, as this eliminates the dead space, and it sounds very loud in the water. 400 meters is the furthest I've gone with it either pulling or kicking. Most of the time I use it for 25 - 100 yd drill/kick sets. Mark
  • Like Kirk said, "There's a learning curve". You'll get used to it and probably learn to love it. What type snorkel are you using?
  • Former Member
    I could go as far with the snorkel as without. I'm sure I've gone at least 1,500 yards continuously with it. There really is a learning curve. It took me a long time before I could effectively swim the same with it or without it. Just keep with it and it will begin to feel natural! Awesome. That's encouraging. Thanks.
  • Thanks for the feedback. It's a Whale center snorkel from Ebay, and it does have a strong plastic smell. I tried going farther than 25y today, breathing out through my nose. This was working okay, but I stopped at 35y as the chlorine was affecting my breathing. It also affected me just swimming normally, so this wasn't an issue with the snorkel today. I'll need to sort this out, maybe after the summer at the other pool, and will stay with 25y until then. i have been using a finis snorkel for about 3 years and use it a lot on longer aerobic sets(2000-4000 yds) and during my warm up. I recently switched from a finis snorkel to an MP snorkel(I got a sweet deal at our local swim shop). I assumed that all snorkels were equal but found out that despite the MP snorkel being much easier to do flip turns with due to the distance between the snorkel and your face, it was harder to breath through due to the opening size on the snorkel. I have used a cardio cap on the finis snorkel which restricts the opening on the snorkel and limits the amount of oxygen you can take in. The MP opening seems to have the same effect as the cardio cap on the finis. I have a fairly strong aerobic system but it took me a few weeks to get used to the reduction in oxygen through the snorkel. I wonder if your brand of snorkel has a smaller tube and opening to the tube which can affect your swimming while using it.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the feedback. It's a Whale center snorkel from Ebay, and it does have a strong plastic smell. I tried going farther than 25y today, breathing out through my nose. This was working okay, but I stopped at 35y as the chlorine was affecting my breathing. It also affected me just swimming normally, so this wasn't an issue with the snorkel today. I'll need to sort this out, maybe after the summer at the other pool, and will stay with 25y until then.
  • Mark & Knelson, how far do you go continuously with the snorkel? I could go as far with the snorkel as without. I'm sure I've gone at least 1,500 yards continuously with it. There really is a learning curve. It took me a long time before I could effectively swim the same with it or without it. Just keep with it and it will begin to feel natural!