snorkel breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I've been using a snorkel for kicking 25y lengths while getting fresh breaths at each end, but run out of air doing 50y lengths continuously, apparently due to breathing the same air, as the breaths keep getting more quick and shallow, not a good situation. One of the comments here is that we breathe about .5 liter of air at rest, compared to a 40 cm tube with 2 cm diameter containing 1 liter of air, thus causing the same air to be breathed with increasing co2, unless we more than double the resting breathing capacity with each breath. I'm usually quite relaxed with my breathing when kicking, so this is a particular issue. Is there a way to overcome the dead space and be able to kick farther comfortably with the snorkel? Perhaps taking super long breaths, or breathing out through the nose between breaths?
Parents
  • That's a really good point. The inside diameter is 5/8" to 3/4" at each end. Perhaps keeping a constant pressure both inhaling and exhaling will be helpful. What issues did you have before getting used to the snorkel, and how did you get used to it? Doing low intensity swimming such as my warm up I had no issues, however on longer higher intensity aerobic sets(60-80% max HR) I had shortness of breath like you describe. After a couple of months of just sticking with the snorkel I seem to have adjusted and it's no longer an issue. As an aside I used a nose clip for about two years due to the challenge of keeping water out of my nose/lungs during turns. Last summer I ditched the nose piece and this has really helped with ensuring I am completely exhaling. It's a double edged sword so to speak with the nose clip from my experience; it really helps with doing flip turns with the snorkel but also feels unnatural with breathing(at least it did to me). Good luck.
  • That's a really good point. The inside diameter is 5/8" to 3/4" at each end. Perhaps keeping a constant pressure both inhaling and exhaling will be helpful. What issues did you have before getting used to the snorkel, and how did you get used to it? Doing low intensity swimming such as my warm up I had no issues, however on longer higher intensity aerobic sets(60-80% max HR) I had shortness of breath like you describe. After a couple of months of just sticking with the snorkel I seem to have adjusted and it's no longer an issue. As an aside I used a nose clip for about two years due to the challenge of keeping water out of my nose/lungs during turns. Last summer I ditched the nose piece and this has really helped with ensuring I am completely exhaling. It's a double edged sword so to speak with the nose clip from my experience; it really helps with doing flip turns with the snorkel but also feels unnatural with breathing(at least it did to me). Good luck.
Children
No Data