snorkel breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I've been using a snorkel for kicking 25y lengths while getting fresh breaths at each end, but run out of air doing 50y lengths continuously, apparently due to breathing the same air, as the breaths keep getting more quick and shallow, not a good situation. One of the comments here is that we breathe about .5 liter of air at rest, compared to a 40 cm tube with 2 cm diameter containing 1 liter of air, thus causing the same air to be breathed with increasing co2, unless we more than double the resting breathing capacity with each breath. I'm usually quite relaxed with my breathing when kicking, so this is a particular issue. Is there a way to overcome the dead space and be able to kick farther comfortably with the snorkel? Perhaps taking super long breaths, or breathing out through the nose between breaths?
Parents
  • How is the fit on the MP snorkel? I ask because the one thing I don't like about the Finis is it gets uncomfortable on my forehead after a while. I thought I'd solve the problem by buying a replacement headband, but the new one isn't much better. I really can't use it too long or it will leave a mark on my forehead.I would guess you might like it Kirk. It doesn't leave indentions in the forehead as the Finis does me. No snorkel headaches either. Construction seems beefier too, but the mouth piece seems a bit bulky.
  • How is the fit on the MP snorkel? I ask because the one thing I don't like about the Finis is it gets uncomfortable on my forehead after a while. I thought I'd solve the problem by buying a replacement headband, but the new one isn't much better. I really can't use it too long or it will leave a mark on my forehead.I would guess you might like it Kirk. It doesn't leave indentions in the forehead as the Finis does me. No snorkel headaches either. Construction seems beefier too, but the mouth piece seems a bit bulky.
Children
No Data