snorkel breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I've been using a snorkel for kicking 25y lengths while getting fresh breaths at each end, but run out of air doing 50y lengths continuously, apparently due to breathing the same air, as the breaths keep getting more quick and shallow, not a good situation. One of the comments here is that we breathe about .5 liter of air at rest, compared to a 40 cm tube with 2 cm diameter containing 1 liter of air, thus causing the same air to be breathed with increasing co2, unless we more than double the resting breathing capacity with each breath. I'm usually quite relaxed with my breathing when kicking, so this is a particular issue. Is there a way to overcome the dead space and be able to kick farther comfortably with the snorkel? Perhaps taking super long breaths, or breathing out through the nose between breaths?
Parents
  • Thanks for the feedback. It's a Whale center snorkel from Ebay, and it does have a strong plastic smell. I tried going farther than 25y today, breathing out through my nose. This was working okay, but I stopped at 35y as the chlorine was affecting my breathing. It also affected me just swimming normally, so this wasn't an issue with the snorkel today. I'll need to sort this out, maybe after the summer at the other pool, and will stay with 25y until then. i have been using a finis snorkel for about 3 years and use it a lot on longer aerobic sets(2000-4000 yds) and during my warm up. I recently switched from a finis snorkel to an MP snorkel(I got a sweet deal at our local swim shop). I assumed that all snorkels were equal but found out that despite the MP snorkel being much easier to do flip turns with due to the distance between the snorkel and your face, it was harder to breath through due to the opening size on the snorkel. I have used a cardio cap on the finis snorkel which restricts the opening on the snorkel and limits the amount of oxygen you can take in. The MP opening seems to have the same effect as the cardio cap on the finis. I have a fairly strong aerobic system but it took me a few weeks to get used to the reduction in oxygen through the snorkel. I wonder if your brand of snorkel has a smaller tube and opening to the tube which can affect your swimming while using it.
  • Thanks for the feedback. It's a Whale center snorkel from Ebay, and it does have a strong plastic smell. I tried going farther than 25y today, breathing out through my nose. This was working okay, but I stopped at 35y as the chlorine was affecting my breathing. It also affected me just swimming normally, so this wasn't an issue with the snorkel today. I'll need to sort this out, maybe after the summer at the other pool, and will stay with 25y until then. i have been using a finis snorkel for about 3 years and use it a lot on longer aerobic sets(2000-4000 yds) and during my warm up. I recently switched from a finis snorkel to an MP snorkel(I got a sweet deal at our local swim shop). I assumed that all snorkels were equal but found out that despite the MP snorkel being much easier to do flip turns with due to the distance between the snorkel and your face, it was harder to breath through due to the opening size on the snorkel. I have used a cardio cap on the finis snorkel which restricts the opening on the snorkel and limits the amount of oxygen you can take in. The MP opening seems to have the same effect as the cardio cap on the finis. I have a fairly strong aerobic system but it took me a few weeks to get used to the reduction in oxygen through the snorkel. I wonder if your brand of snorkel has a smaller tube and opening to the tube which can affect your swimming while using it.
Children
No Data