snorkel breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I've been using a snorkel for kicking 25y lengths while getting fresh breaths at each end, but run out of air doing 50y lengths continuously, apparently due to breathing the same air, as the breaths keep getting more quick and shallow, not a good situation. One of the comments here is that we breathe about .5 liter of air at rest, compared to a 40 cm tube with 2 cm diameter containing 1 liter of air, thus causing the same air to be breathed with increasing co2, unless we more than double the resting breathing capacity with each breath. I'm usually quite relaxed with my breathing when kicking, so this is a particular issue. Is there a way to overcome the dead space and be able to kick farther comfortably with the snorkel? Perhaps taking super long breaths, or breathing out through the nose between breaths?
Parents
  • I doubt very much that the problem you are having is related to "breathing" the same air. The amount of oxygen in "stale" air is plenty to keep going on - think of it as similar to why CPR works. More likely, you are focusing on inhaling as much as possible and not exhaling alot - a fairly common situation. Try focusing on exactly the opposite - exhaling completely and not worrying about inhaling. The reason you want to focus on exhaling is because that gets rid of the carbon dioxide being generated by your body. AND, carbon dioxide build up is what triggers your breathing - not lack of oxygen. By exhaling more forcefully and completely, the amount of CO2 in your lungs will decrease and you will feel less pressure in your chest. And, by exhaling completely, you set your diaphragm muscles up for an easier time when inhaling (along with creating, relatively speaking, a "vacuum" in your lungs. Air just comes in easier. Good Luck....
  • I doubt very much that the problem you are having is related to "breathing" the same air. The amount of oxygen in "stale" air is plenty to keep going on - think of it as similar to why CPR works. More likely, you are focusing on inhaling as much as possible and not exhaling alot - a fairly common situation. Try focusing on exactly the opposite - exhaling completely and not worrying about inhaling. The reason you want to focus on exhaling is because that gets rid of the carbon dioxide being generated by your body. AND, carbon dioxide build up is what triggers your breathing - not lack of oxygen. By exhaling more forcefully and completely, the amount of CO2 in your lungs will decrease and you will feel less pressure in your chest. And, by exhaling completely, you set your diaphragm muscles up for an easier time when inhaling (along with creating, relatively speaking, a "vacuum" in your lungs. Air just comes in easier. Good Luck....
Children
No Data