snorkel breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I've been using a snorkel for kicking 25y lengths while getting fresh breaths at each end, but run out of air doing 50y lengths continuously, apparently due to breathing the same air, as the breaths keep getting more quick and shallow, not a good situation. One of the comments here is that we breathe about .5 liter of air at rest, compared to a 40 cm tube with 2 cm diameter containing 1 liter of air, thus causing the same air to be breathed with increasing co2, unless we more than double the resting breathing capacity with each breath. I'm usually quite relaxed with my breathing when kicking, so this is a particular issue. Is there a way to overcome the dead space and be able to kick farther comfortably with the snorkel? Perhaps taking super long breaths, or breathing out through the nose between breaths?
Parents
  • Mark & Knelson, how far do you go continuously with the snorkel? I kicked 12x25 yards with the snorkel today, first with long slow breaths, then out normally through the nose. My preference is out through the nose, as this eliminates the dead space, and it sounds very loud in the water. 400 meters is the furthest I've gone with it either pulling or kicking. Most of the time I use it for 25 - 100 yd drill/kick sets. Mark
  • Mark & Knelson, how far do you go continuously with the snorkel? I kicked 12x25 yards with the snorkel today, first with long slow breaths, then out normally through the nose. My preference is out through the nose, as this eliminates the dead space, and it sounds very loud in the water. 400 meters is the furthest I've gone with it either pulling or kicking. Most of the time I use it for 25 - 100 yd drill/kick sets. Mark
Children
No Data