backstroke ~ bright sun protection ~ goggles

Former Member
Former Member
I swam 2000 yards backstroke yesterday, not wearing goggles, afterwards was dark red in the face and figured this wasn't good for my eyes. However, none of my 3 pair of goggles allow enough peripheral vision to see well. What kind of goggles have you found to give you the widest vision for backstroke? Might these work well? 10495 They have 180 degree vision, but still have the gasket that blocks vision. I was about to order them, then got the great idea last night to use regular sunglasses 10496and will try them next week. Let me know what goggles you feel would work best for the backstroke. I won't be doing any flip turns or diving with these.
  • Try the Roka goggles. I'm pretty sure you can only get them online right now, but I have a pair and can see really well out of them for OW swimming, plus they have quite a few with different types of shading. www.rokasports.com/.../r1-goggle
  • Why do you need a wide field of vision? If you've got backstroke flags, your head should be still and only looking for those. If you don't have flags (as I don't at my pool), you can still keep your head still and just learn your overall stroke count by length. Best sun-protection goggles I've found are the Speedo Vanquisher Mirrored Smoke goggles. Of course, mine are like circa 2010, or earlier, so not sure if the current version is as dark.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Why do you need a wide field of vision? To see with, go straight, be more comfortable, and be more aware of surroundings, in particular of people who don't know where they're going. I see no reason for having a restricted vision. Thanks for the recommendations!
  • Not sure if sunglasses would be legal ??
  • Why do you need a wide field of vision? If you've got backstroke flags, your head should be still and only looking for those. If you don't have flags (as I don't at my pool), you can still keep your head still and just learn your overall stroke count by length. You always swim dead straight in backstroke outside? I sure don't! That said, I think you've just got to live with the fact that you can't see behind you during backstroke. Just keep the lanelines in your peripheral vision and that's about the best you can do. I hit the lanelines a lot, but I don't think increased peripheral vision from my goggles would help. Perhaps I'm wrong. I also use the mirrored Vanquishers.
  • Former Member
    Not sure if sunglasses would be legal ?? Do you have a source, and what might be the reasoning?
  • Former Member
    Swedish goggles don't have a gasket, and appear to have 100% vision. Plus I can get them with metallic coating for sun protection. Any comments about these? Here's a review.
  • You can try Swedes. You'll either love them or hate them!
  • Former Member
    You can try Swedes. You'll either love them or hate them! I wear Swedes about 25 years and I love them!! never try anything else...
  • Former Member
    I took my regular sunglasses 10529 to the pool today and they're great! They promptly fell off when I got in the pool, but stayed firmly in place for 2500 yards of backstroke with my swim cap on top. What a contrast from just a few days ago. The vision is full and quite comfortable. I like the metallic protection, as the sky was dark and I didn't even notice the sun. The cap protected my forehead but my cheeks got red. I'm very impressed with these and will use them from now on for the backstroke. I've ordered a pair of silver metallic Swedish goggles 10530 as well but doubt they'll be any better.