Toes and fingers go numb

Former Member
Former Member
When the pool temp goes below 80 (I know, I used to complain when it went above 80!), I've noticed two fingers and now this week, 3 toes tingle and/or get numb. I know this can be a warning sign for diabetes, which would be ironic, since I can't eat any kind of processed sweets -- my once a day treat is a few bites of a protein bar. Has this ever happened to anyone? Should I be alarmed? Two toes still feel slightly numb hours after swimming.
  • When the pool temp goes below 80 (I know, I used to complain when it went above 80!), I've noticed two fingers and now this week, 3 toes tingle and/or get numb. I know this can be a warning sign for diabetes, which would be ironic, since I can't eat any kind of processed sweets -- my once a day treat is a few bites of a protein bar. Has this ever happened to anyone? Should I be alarmed? Two toes still feel slightly numb hours after swimming. Do some research on Raynaud's Syndrome (also "Raynaud's Disease" or Raynaud's Phenomenon"). Mayo Clinic one of the most reliable websites for accurate medical information, so check there first. Is this what you are experiencing? If so, discuss it with your doctor, and while you're at it, get tested for diabetes if your doctor recommends it. I first got Raynaud's in my toes in 1992, and then eventually experienced it in my fingers, nose, and ears. It's something I will deal with for the rest of my life, since there is no cure.
  • I know this isn't going to help Renie, but I remember playing volleyball against a guy BITD who had Reynaud's. Kinda weird to see someone playing vb with gloves on his hands. Some of those high school gyms in update NY got a bit cold during the winter, but that was before global warming kicked in. :)
  • Thanks, Elaine. I sort of self-diagnosed myself with Raynaud's due to stiffening and inability to move hands and fingers in cold weather. Have to put vaseline on my hands and wear thick gloves. I went on Mayo before posting - my online "doctor." :applaud: I will call the family doc tomorrow and check on what they tested me for when I had blood work done recently. Bummer. I was hoping you wouldn't have Raynaud's, but your symptoms sound way too familiar to me. Here is a website with helpful information: http://www.raynauds.org/ If it is in fact Raynaud's, you are very lucky to catch it this early. My first symptoms were in my toes, which is far less common than having it in the fingers. I was misdiagnosed as having a skin disorder, and I was referred on to a dermatologist who gave me a prescription cream to treat what he thought was eczema. When my condition got worse, I was finally sent to a rheumatologist. By then, I had ulcerous sores on my toes and was told that if I had gone much longer, I would have ended up with gangrene in those toes! Left untreated, they would have had to be amputated! :afraid: Needless to say, don't take your symptoms lightly. If you definitely are diagnosed has having Raynaud's, read up on self-care for Raynaud's, and be diligent about it! Good luck, renie, and keep us posted, OK?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks, Elaine. I sort of self-diagnosed myself with Raynaud's due to stiffening and inability to move hands and fingers in cold weather. Have to put vaseline on my hands and wear thick gloves. I went on Mayo before posting - my online "doctor." :applaud: I will call the family doc tomorrow and check on what they tested me for when I had blood work done recently.
  • it sounds as if Elaine is the lady to talk to and get advice from on this subject.
  • Hi Elaine. I am slightly underweight, due to a raging metabolism that burns off everything I eat. I am about twice the age of 30, but have experienced pain and stiffness in my hands (and recently, tingling in the fingers) for the last 20 years at least. it sounds as if Elaine is the lady to talk to and get advice from on this subject. Thanks, Orca, but at this point, I think the best thing renie could do is see a rheumatologist. Renie, I highly recommend it! :agree:
  • Former Member
    Hi Elaine. I am slightly underweight, due to a raging metabolism that burns off everything I eat. I am about twice the age of 30, but have experienced pain and stiffness in my hands (and recently, tingling in the fingers) for the last 20 years at least.
  • Hi Elaine, wow, that's scary. I remember reading about Raynaud's but didn't think there was anything you could do for it. Toes still numb today. I was prescribed Procardia (calcium channel blocker) for about one month. Once my symptoms were under control, I was taken off of it. By taking good preventative care, I have not had to take any medication since that first time. I'm curious about something. Are you in your mid-30's with a slim build? Raynaud's is most commonly strikes females of this type, and it is sometimes the first symptom of other auto-immune disorders such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. This is something for you and your doctor to keep an eye on. Education is key. Arm yourself with accurate information to keep yourself out of trouble. :agree:
  • Former Member
    Hi Elaine, wow, that's scary. I remember reading about Raynaud's but didn't think there was anything you could do for it. Toes still numb today.
  • Hi Renie, I'm swimming at GPAC Masters in Deptford with a doc who is rated the top Rheumatologist in southern NJ. He is a USMS member, Steve Soloway, and I think he is a very competent doc and loves swimming. His office is in Vineland, NJ. I'm not sure where you are but you might want to check him out. Let me know if you want help contacting him - I'll send him the link on FB to this forum page. His office phone is 856-794-9090