Breathing less

Former Member
Former Member
What type of training (sets) are good for helping to breathe less? I am trying to improve my times in the 50s (free and fly) and know that I am a lot faster with breathing less. I don't have a masters team nearby to seek out help. What are some good sets that would help me with this? (I currently breathe about 5 times and would like to get that down to 2-3).
  • What I like is to swim 25s all out (afap) with no breath. I rest 5 minutes or more between each (it takes me that long to catch my breath). Also I think its better at the beginning of the workout while you're fresh rather than at the end when you're worn out. Another thing that I think is very important is to plan out how many breaths you want to take in a race and when (or where) the breaths will be and then practice exactly that a lot so that when you get in the race and everything is happening fast your breaths will come naturally right when and where you want them without having to think about it. Sincerely, John R Beattie
  • I would like to see your times at each of 50's using 5 breaths and then 4 and then 3 then 2 to see if it really makes any real world difference.
  • Like jrb, 25 nb's work good for me too Practice 50's from the block breathing 4 times at a speed you are comfy at. Once you can go all-out with 4, try 3 and so forth. If you continue to swim faster with less breaths, try eliminating another to see what happens. It might also be a good idea to practice breathing in good form while swimming afap on restricted breaths. I've had faster swims with 2 or even 3 breaths because the one breath taken in the 50 was in such desperate need that I broke streamline taking it.
  • And... for safety sake, since you don't swim with a team... make sure there is someone else at the pool that understands what you are doing so they can keep an eye on you as you push your no-breathing to your limit.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    And... for safety sake, since you don't swim with a team... make sure there is someone else at the pool that understands what you are doing so they can keep an eye on you as you push your no-breathing to your limit. That is my concern. I don't want to do anything stupid. Thanks for the advice Like jrb, 25 nb's work good for me too Practice 50's from the block breathing 4 times at a speed you are comfy at. Once you can go all-out with 4, try 3 and so forth. If you continue to swim faster with less breaths, try eliminating another to see what happens. It might also be a good idea to practice breathing in good form while swimming afap on restricted breaths. I've had faster swims with 2 or even 3 breaths because the one breath taken in the 50 was in such desperate need that I broke streamline taking it. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • I guess that works for you . That will be the answer for you.
  • I would like to see your times at each of 50's using 5 breaths and then 4 and then 3 then 2 to see if it really makes any real world difference. I did something like that yesterday. Taking 4 breaths in an all-out 50 fr was 9 tenths slower than 0 breaths, and the no breather wasn't even fully an all out swim.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I did a 50 with 3 breaths (quite a challenge) and was a second faster. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk